Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,961 times

Advertisements

I am considering a new construction loan.. the terms are for a 2fam home with expected appraisal value of 770k -

Rate quoted to me was 4.125 which I found too high? But they are suggesting buying down rate at cost of 0.50% total purchase price for 0.125 rate reduction - total loan amount is 450k but if I pay down mtg it would drop to 400k

Any advice? Do you think this is a good rate considering its a very hard loan to obtain nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
I am considering a new construction loan.. the terms are for a 2fam home with expected appraisal value of 770k -

Rate quoted to me was 4.125 which I found too high? But they are suggesting buying down rate at cost of 0.50% total purchase price for 0.125 rate reduction - total loan amount is 450k but if I pay down mtg it would drop to 400k

Any advice? Do you think this is a good rate considering its a very hard loan to obtain nowadays?
Is this a C-perm loan (after construction it goes directly to the permanent loan)? Is the lender letting you use future value or actual costs? How much down (and if your investment is the land, what is the value)? What is your credit score? How long do you have from start to completion?

Construction loans are among the most complex available and those are questions off the top of my head without going into capped rates, float downs, and modification into the permanent loan. These loans are not for the faint-hearted.

Opinion of rate depends on your answers.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:01 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Is this a C-perm loan (after construction it goes directly to the permanent loan)? Is the lender letting you use future value or actual costs? How much down (and if your investment is the land, what is the value)? What is your credit score? How long do you have from start to completion?

Construction loans are among the most complex available and those are questions off the top of my head without going into capped rates, float downs, and modification into the permanent loan. These loans are not for the faint-hearted.

Opinion of rate depends on your answers.
Hi SmartMoney thanks so much,

Yes its permanent 30 years fixed - they are allowing actual costs of 150k present mtg and 300k construction costs.. the only down payment would be any points I choose I believe.. excellent credit over 800, 12 months or until CO obtained

I agree construction loans are complex! I couldnt even find any big "known" banks to even talk to me about them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages