Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 17,124 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're looking into buying a house soon. We've received numerous gifts from family, almost all of which are/can be sourced (statements, etc).

One of the gifts (the largest, in the tens of thousands), however, the gifter is not willing to disclose the statements for it (not that it's shady, he's a very private person).

Now, my broker says that not only can I not use that for any part of the mortgage (down payment, closing costs, upfront mortgage insurance, etc) but I can't even deposit it as any deposits in my accounts have to be fully sourced. We do have the check, with has all of his information. Just not statements (we have our statements, of course).

What are my choices here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 06:50 PM

254 posts, read 458,680 times
Deposit it over 60 days in advance of looking for a house?

Old 04-05-2016, 06:52 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Your only choices are to deposit it and wait for 2 bank statements that show the money so they won't question the deposit, or your family member has to show documentation of the funds. You are asking to borrow their money so you play by their rules. It doesn't matter if you don't like their rules, you just don't get their money. All lenders will have the same requirement of deposits into an account, even if it was a mere $200 that wasn't from your work paychecks.

Tell your gifter to get over the privacy issue, or wait 2 months. Simple.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
Deposit it over 60 days in advance of looking for a house?
+1

it wouldn't matter in this case anyway - just a note/explanation of where *you* got the funds would be enough for the underwriter - they just need to document in their file that it's a gift & not a loan. Where the "gifter" got the money isn't your lender's concern.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
just a note/explanation of where *you* got the funds would be enough for the underwriter - they just need to document in their file that it's a gift & not a loan. Where the "gifter" got the money isn't your lender's concern.
This is not true. The gifter has to show it came from their account and not from under the mattress. The gifter has to provide his bank statement to show the money was there for him to gift, and not show a large deposit and then the same large withdrawal, as then it would show the money wasn't his to gift, but that it came from somewhere else and then that has to be sourced too.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 AM

29 posts, read 34,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameisen View Post
Hello,

We're looking into buying a house soon. We've received numerous gifts from family, almost all of which are/can be sourced (statements, etc).

One of the gifts (the largest, in the tens of thousands), however, the gifter is not willing to disclose the statements for it (not that it's shady, he's a very private person).

Now, my broker says that not only can I not use that for any part of the mortgage (down payment, closing costs, upfront mortgage insurance, etc) but I can't even deposit it as any deposits in my accounts have to be fully sourced. We do have the check, with has all of his information. Just not statements (we have our statements, of course).

Would the person who is giving you the money be willing to share directly with the bank and NOT with you? Also, depending on the type of mortgage you are looking to get you can have the gifter send the money directly to the closing attorney and bypassing you. You'd be able to get a gift letter from the gifter and you can avoid sourcing the funds... read about it here - https://www.fanniemae.com/content/gu...b3/4.3/04.html

GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This is not true. The gifter has to show it came from their account and not from under the mattress. The gifter has to provide his bank statement to show the money was there for him to gift, and not show a large deposit and then the same large withdrawal, as then it would show the money wasn't his to gift, but that it came from somewhere else and then that has to be sourced too.
look at the link posted above- , a copy of the check & a gift letter are all that is necessary.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
look at the link posted above- , a copy of the check & a gift letter are all that is necessary.
All lenders have their own overlays. I've never had a lender that didn't want to source all funds. Lenders are allowed to have stricter rules than Fannie and Freddy and HUD etc...

Old 04-06-2016, 09:20 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
There's more than Fannie Mae at play, there's the Bank Secrecy Act in play, which requires conclusive documentation of the transfer of funds and the borrowers rights to the access of the gift funds. I think you will have a tough time finding someone to ignore those requirements, regardless what Fannie says. As someone that loves to put guidelines in front of underwriters in protest, my personal experience with Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) tells me Fannie is not always the last word.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameisen View Post
Hello,

I would ask the person who I want to borrow from to open a separate savings account, will all the money you need plus maybe $500 more for them to keep in the account. Wait 2 months, then they should be able to give you the statements and account numbers, when all is said and done they can transfer the extra $500 back to their own account once your gift funds are out and close that account. I would offer to go to the bank with them to set it up.

I would maybe wait 3 months, because if the account shows a large cash or transfer deposit into the account they may question the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages