Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 04:11 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,665 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So i have a few questions about how this process works. I'm currently working with a broker who is working on fully underwriting my pre approval. My question. Once i'm under contract, how do i go about shopping rates? Do i simply need to fill out mortgage applications with other lenders and then compare GFEs? Does this slow down the time to close if i do this? Is there a better route to do this?

My plan is to go with the broker who has been working with me and fully underwritten me however i do want to make sure i am getting the best rate and lowest closing costs.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:23 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Hello,

So i have a few questions about how this process works. I'm currently working with a broker who is working on fully underwriting my pre approval. My question. Once i'm under contract, how do i go about shopping rates? Do i simply need to fill out mortgage applications with other lenders and then compare GFEs? Does this slow down the time to close if i do this? Is there a better route to do this?

My plan is to go with the broker who has been working with me and fully underwritten me however i do want to make sure i am getting the best rate and lowest closing costs.

Extensive advice has been given on this topic - try the search feature and the threads will come up. A few took a while to write, I know, because I wrote some of them.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:18 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
Quote:
Hello,

So you're just going to let someone do all the heavy lifting, take their time, do a good job for you, and then when it's all in place, yank the rug out from under them?

Classy.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
So you're just going to let someone do all the heavy lifting, take their time, do a good job for you, and then when it's all in place, yank the rug out from under them?

Classy.
Did i say that?

My question was how to go about doing my due diligence while hopefully still using the guy i have been working with. I have never done this before hence the question. Are you insinuating that people don't shop rates? Should i accept the rate/fees im given regardless of whats presented? Is there a better way to shop rates?

Old 04-11-2016, 04:41 PM

630 posts, read 1,716,937 times
Quote:
Did i say that?

My question was how to go about doing my due diligence while hopefully still using the guy i have been working with. I have never done this before hence the question. Are you insinuating that people don't shop rates? Should i accept the rate/fees im given regardless of whats presented? Is there a better way to shop rates?
I understand what your asking. Here is what I am doing. On the same day, I emailed 3 mortgage lenders/brokers asking for a quote. No credit is run for this. The 2 lenders rates were very similar. The broker was a slightly lower rate and $1000 less in closing cost fees. So apples to apples, the mortgage broker was a better choice. Now, in a few weeks when we are ready to actually apply I will reach out to all 3 for an updated quote. Best one overall is who we will apply with. Once we apply, we would not rate shop. I would think it would slow things down to change at that point.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
I understand what your asking. Here is what I am doing. On the same day, I emailed 3 mortgage lenders/brokers asking for a quote. No credit is run for this. The 2 lenders rates were very similar. The broker was a slightly lower rate and $1000 less in closing cost fees. So apples to apples, the mortgage broker was a better choice. Now, in a few weeks when we are ready to actually apply I will reach out to all 3 for an updated quote. Best one overall is who we will apply with. Once we apply, we would not rate shop. I would think it would slow things down to change at that point.
That make sense. My challenge is in my area its super competitive. So having a fully underwritten pre-approval is a huge advantage. But that involves one of them going through that process. So i guess my worry is being that i am in the process of the full underwriting can i still shop without offending them? I do worry about shopping under contract because the whole point of being underwritten is to close quicker. Will they be offended if i ask them to match another rate? Will that slow down the closing process?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 PM

254 posts, read 458,204 times
Quote:
That make sense. My challenge is in my area its super competitive. So having a fully underwritten pre-approval is a huge advantage. But that involves one of them going through that process. So i guess my worry is being that i am in the process of the full underwriting can i still shop without offending them? I do worry about shopping under contract because the whole point of being underwritten is to close quicker. Will they be offended if i ask them to match another rate? Will that slow down the closing process?
You should shpp before going under contract. Starting over could very well slow down closing and is misleading to the seller who thought it was already taken care of.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 PM

630 posts, read 1,716,937 times
Quote:
I guess my thinking is why would you shop after you are in the full process of being underwritten? If you do find a lower rate, to change lenders at that point will definitely slow down the closing process as you are essentially starting over. Rate shop now so that you are comfortable you are getting the best loan. Make it clear that you are comparing rates and they need to put their best foot forward. Make your choice and follow it through.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:04 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
What you are not considering, I think, is that the value of a good broker or lender is NOT entirely the rate and closing costs. It's also the service that you receive. Getting the house closed on time, with as little aggravation, is the goal. Saving 1/8th on the mortgage interest rate or $200 in closing costs is, frankly, inconsequential.

I will say this: Many years ago, I discovered that the broker I was using had indeed charged more in closing costs than other equally reliable competitors. (I was inexperienced - this was my conventional mortgage - and still needed to be educated.) Rather than pulling the loan, I asked the broker to consider adjusting his closing costs. He had already done all that "heavy lifting" and spent a good amount of time educating me. He reduced his closing costs by about 2/3rds, and I was willing to pay a few extra hundred bucks over the competition. Twenty years later, and I still think that was a fair compromise.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What you are not considering, I think, is that the value of a good broker or lender is NOT entirely the rate and closing costs. It's also the service that you receive. Getting the house closed on time, with as little aggravation, is the goal. Saving 1/8th on the mortgage interest rate or $200 in closing costs is, frankly, inconsequential.

I will say this: Many years ago, I discovered that the broker I was using had indeed charged more in closing costs than other equally reliable competitors. (I was inexperienced - this was my conventional mortgage - and still needed to be educated.) Rather than pulling the loan, I asked the broker to consider adjusting his closing costs. He had already done all that "heavy lifting" and spent a good amount of time educating me. He reduced his closing costs by about 2/3rds, and I was willing to pay a few extra hundred bucks over the competition. Twenty years later, and I still think that was a fair compromise.
Good point. I have had a great experience thus far with this broker and he is quite responsive. Which as you pointed out is valuable while closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages