Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 PM

170 posts, read 246,128 times

Advertisements

I am in the application process and the big bank I am getting my mortgage through requires 12 months of rent payments in the form of checks that I have sent to my landlord. These are saved as images in my bank when my landlord deposits these checks. Unfortunately, one of the check images for one of the months was corrupted and neither the branch or the customer service people online were able to retrieve it for me. They need to get it from a central customer service data center or something. Unfortunately, for the past week I have not been able to get this from them even though they promised it would come in a couple of days or they even mentioned when it didn't come in the mail they would email it in a day. It seems nobody can help to get this image for me.

My loan officer really requires this check. Are there any alternative approaches I can try if I am unable to get an image of this check? Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 PM

28 posts, read 29,354 times
I would ask for a receipt from your landlord, maybe even a letter. You should also write a letter explaining why you couldn't retrieve the check. Another option, or something you can add to the above would be your bank statement showing that the check was cashed for the rent amount.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
I would get a statement from the bank saying that the image of the check is corrupted, I would present the statement and ask the landlord for some kind of note saying that the rent was always paid on time.

Have you had any evictions or late rent payments show up on your credit report? I got an FHA loan and was not asked for rent receipts only the phone number for the property manager and I don't even think they contacted her. They just wanted to know i had a steady place to live for at least 2 years but I had a roommate for a few months before I bought the home and they didn't even ask for his number. Maybe your rent is really high or something or it's this particular banks rules.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 04-22-2016 at 04:07 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 06:00 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
There are many programs that require independent verification or conclusive documentation that you have a spotless rental history. Do not feel like you've been singled out.

Is your rent paid to a private party? A rental complex? A property manager? You are on the right track looking for an alternate method. What kind of loan are you getting. Nothing jerks a bank into reality faster than a threat to move the loan to another lender, but make sure it's possible if they call your bluff. Rates have improved over the prior two weeks, so it's not like you would lose an awesome lock.

Don't let them forget it was your choice to apply with them, not the other way around.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would get a statement from the bank saying that the image of the check is corrupted, I would present the statement and ask the landlord for some kind of note saying that the rent was always paid on time.

Have you had any evictions or late rent payments show up on your credit report? I got an FHA loan and was not asked for rent receipts only the phone number for the property manager and I don't even think they contacted her. They just wanted to know i had a steady place to live for at least 2 years but I had a roommate for a few months before I bought the home and they didn't even ask for his number. Maybe your rent is really high or something or it's this particular banks rules.
I have never had any evictions or late rent payments. This is for a conventional loan.
My rent is high, but I pay to a private landlord and not a property manager.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
There are many programs that require independent verification or conclusive documentation that you have a spotless rental history. Do not feel like you've been singled out.

Is your rent paid to a private party? A rental complex? A property manager? You are on the right track looking for an alternate method. What kind of loan are you getting. Nothing jerks a bank into reality faster than a threat to move the loan to another lender, but make sure it's possible if they call your bluff. Rates have improved over the prior two weeks, so it's not like you would lose an awesome lock.

Don't let them forget it was your choice to apply with them, not the other way around.
Yes my rent is paid to a private party and not to a rental complex. This will be for a conventional loan currently I am under contract on a house. I was able to show them my rental history for the other 11 months.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Did you ask the landlord to get a copy from his bank? Both banks will have a copy of the check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages