Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
FHA or conventional?
either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,810 times
Question: My husband and I are wanting to buy a home. We know that with both of our incomes we can afford a nice home due to how we are paying now in rent for an apartment. The only problem is I ( the one with a bigger income) have a horrible credit score. In the past I got credit cards that I couldn't afford. I recently just paid them all off. My husband has a good credit score. We will both need to be on the mortgage to get approved for how much we want to. How hard is this going to be with my bad credit? How fast does your credit go up after paying them off? What will we need to do to get approved for a good FHA loan? Thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 AM

64 posts, read 195,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP86 View Post
Question: My husband and I are wanting to buy a home. We know that with both of our incomes we can afford a nice home due to how we are paying now in rent for an apartment. The only problem is I ( the one with a bigger income) have a horrible credit score. In the past I got credit cards that I couldn't afford. I recently just paid them all off. My husband has a good credit score. We will both need to be on the mortgage to get approved for how much we want to. How hard is this going to be with my bad credit? How fast does your credit go up after paying them off? What will we need to do to get approved for a good FHA loan? Thanks
Your first step, would be to go talk with a lender or broker..they will be able to tell you exactly what your options are...

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Depends on why you have a low score?? If its because of late payments, etc.. then after a certain amount of time (I do not know what it is) they'll come off and if there are no other dings against you - your score will improve.

If the reason your score was low was simply because of debt:income ratio - then paying the cards off will increase your score very quickly - as soon as the new figures are filed with the agencies.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vday2004 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I just got married in december and are looking to buy a home. First time buyers. My question is do we have to include my name as a co-borrower? Do they look at my credit score? That's where I'm worried.W e also be looking to use FHA.
First hand experience here: No.....unless something changed recently....you do not have to be listed on the loan.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:36 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,570 times
I have a FHA loan and my husband is not listed on the loan. Nor did they run his credit score. On the flipside, I wasn't able to claim his income to qualify though.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
...my wife had no income....so I didn't see the point in it and neither did the lenders.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP86 View Post
As far as affordability obviously 2 incomes are more than one.... but there is no requirement to include the spouse on the note i.e. the mortgage loan application. You can include the spouse on the deed/title though.
Good luck.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,346 times
Default Mortgages loans with both spouses

If you live in ohio I know for a fact both spouses DO NOT need to be on the loan. But the spouse not on the loan has to sign a paper stating they release thier rights to the property. Also FHA will finance someone with a fico score of 580. But most have no late pays for the past 12 months, or reposseions in the 36months.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
how quickly can you raise your credit score? Mine is 578, mostly due to medical debts from years ago and school loans. If i paid of a few of those debts, would it immediately raise my credit score or does that type of thing take time?

Last edited by bethanymaria22; 03-14-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages