Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 09:04 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,576,625 times

Advertisements

I know it seems like a silly question to some of you, but I'm revisiting the idea, because one of the counselors where I work said that she encouraged her children to buy property before they went off to college so that they would have an investment. Now, I'm kind of thinking in this vein, even though conventional wisdom says not to take on house payments if you need extreme flexibility. Renting does feel like a waste of money, though, especially since property is relatively cheap around here. I could find a decent for sale by owner property for around 20K-50K, even though it would probably be a manufactured home. For around 60K-90K, I could find a good 1200+ square foot house. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth the risk. I know for a fact that we have a lot of college students attending the local universities. Many of them would love to get out of the over-priced dorms. If I bought a three or four bedroom house, I could possibly rent out three rooms to students. If I charged $400 per month rent (more reasonable than the dorms or local apartments) per student, I could make around $1200-$1500 per month extra income. I'm just thinking.

More about me, for those of you who don't know:

I'm almost 30. I just started working full-time a year or so ago and make about 20K per year. I pay about $525 per month in rent and about $400 per month in transportation and living expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
I would definitely NOT be buying a house making 20k per year. With that level of income you are not going to have hardly any margin for things to go wrong.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
...one of the counselors where I work said that she encouraged her children
to buy property before they went off to college so that they would have an investment.

For around 60K-90K, I could find a good 1200+ square foot house.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth the risk.

If I charged $400 per month rent (each)...
I could (GROSS) around $1200-$1500 per month extra income. I'm just thinking.

I'm almost 30... make about 20K per year.
1) never volunteer to rent to undergrads.
2) never own a rental more than X miles from your home.
3) find an active local landlords group. join it. get a mentor.
4) find a better paying job.
5) LEARN enough to be able to answer the Q's you'll come across.

THEN see if you still want to do it.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:53 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
NO. Disaster in the making.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:19 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,576,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) never volunteer to rent to undergrads.
2) never own a rental more than X miles from your home.
3) find an active local landlords group. join it. get a mentor.
4) find a better paying job.
5) LEARN enough to be able to answer the Q's you'll come across.

THEN see if you still want to do it.
I've heard there are tons of things that can go wrong, but that's mostly renting to party animals and section 8, right? A responsible graduate student would probably be different?

"Find a better paying job..." where am I supposed to look? I've applied to every school that might be hiring English teachers, nothing except what I have.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
"Find a better paying job..." where am I supposed to look?
I've applied to every school that might be hiring English teachers, nothing except what I have.
Clearly... you need to look somewhere else.

Quote:
...heard there are tons of things that can go wrong...
There are books on it. In fact... start there.

Leigh Robinson's Book on landlording.
The Section 8 Bible.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
I know it seems like a silly question to some of you, but I'm revisiting the idea, because one of the counselors where I work said that she encouraged her children to buy property before they went off to college so that they would have an investment. Now, I'm kind of thinking in this vein, even though conventional wisdom says not to take on house payments if you need extreme flexibility. Renting does feel like a waste of money, though, especially since property is relatively cheap around here. I could find a decent for sale by owner property for around 20K-50K, even though it would probably be a manufactured home. For around 60K-90K, I could find a good 1200+ square foot house. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth the risk. I know for a fact that we have a lot of college students attending the local universities. Many of them would love to get out of the over-priced dorms. If I bought a three or four bedroom house, I could possibly rent out three rooms to students. If I charged $400 per month rent (more reasonable than the dorms or local apartments) per student, I could make around $1200-$1500 per month extra income. I'm just thinking.

More about me, for those of you who don't know:

I'm almost 30. I just started working full-time a year or so ago and make about 20K per year. I pay about $525 per month in rent and about $400 per month in transportation and living expenses.
You need a big emergency fund. The last thing you want is for a non-paying tenant or big repair to hit when you don't have the savings to deal with it.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM

347 posts, read 426,757 times
Quote:
I've heard there are tons of things that can go wrong, but that's mostly renting to party animals and section 8, right? A responsible graduate student would probably be different?

"Find a better paying job..." where am I supposed to look? I've applied to every school that might be hiring English teachers, nothing except what I have.
But, how would you determine if the grad student was responsible? Many renters regardless of their status as a student or their profession are not good tenants.

And earning 20K a year, you would need a very large down payment in order to qualify to buy a house at 60K-90K (I suspect at least 5K-10K for a 60K house, and closer to 30K-40K for a 90K house), and I don't believe that rental income will count towards you income until you have documented that you have had rental income for a certain period of time (I'm not sure about this though, so hopefully someone will chime in and clarify).

Plus, in order to get a mortgage you need to prove that you have savings, typically about six months worth of mortgage payments, and if you rent rooms out then you would need to make sure that you had a very healthy saving account to make unnecessary repairs and to cover costs when you were between renters.

Like you previous post, I would highly encourage you to look for a teaching job that pays you at least equivalent to the entry level teaching wage in the public school system. Have you considered moving? That might give you more options. I know you want to buy, but sometimes you have to wait until you have more income and more stability. Buying a house when you aren't ready can be a huge millstone around your neck in the future.

Last edited by ea1420; 08-29-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
As an investment no, ss a place to live instead of paying rent, yes.

First of all you will most likely need to be working full time 2 years to qualify so you may have to wait.

Where are you going to get the down payment and closing costs from? It could be over $7,000 for a $50K home.

If you can find a decent home for $59K or less your mortgage can be $500 or less, (depending on taxes and insurance) if you can then get a roommate that can pay for most of the payment.

Also while paying rent and with your normal expenses you won't be able to qualify for a separate mortgage.

You can't claim the imagined income for 3 college students as income to pay a mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages