Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,896,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There are some online lenders that will give you a preapproval. Just plug in your data with them and see what comes out.
Bad advice, especially for the inexperienced buyer!

This will result in bad advice, multiple credit inquiries, maybe even getting under contract, only to find your loan officer has only been on the job for 6 months and learning on you. Do not blindly put your SSN on any website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,950,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would pay off all your debt including cars and student loans,save 3 to 6 months emergency funds, and a 20 percent down payment.So to answer your question,no.
Na.. I'm all about staying tight but you don't need to go that far. I'd sell the car and get something cheaper where the loan is half, like $150 (frees up $150). I'd then get the student loans out of deferment and use the freed up $150 toward those student loans. 3-6 months emergency fund I totally agree with. I don't see a need to put down 20% when mortgages are only like 4%. Put down 10%, your PMI will be very low and 10% down usually gives you a very good rate, much better than what only 3.5% down would. I put 10% down and refinanced a year later, my appraisal came in high enough that it eliminated my PMI. Stopped me from putting out an extra $26,000 which would have been locked in my house only saving me 3.5% on the interest rate which is tax deductible anyway.. poor use of funds.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,405,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Bad advice, especially for the inexperienced buyer!

This will result in bad advice, multiple credit inquiries, maybe even getting under contract, only to find your loan officer has only been on the job for 6 months and learning on you. Do not blindly put your SSN on any website.
Oh I did that with RocketMortgage are they not trust worthy?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,896,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh I did that with RocketMortgage are they not trust worthy?
They are fine, but there are many, like Lending Tree, who broadcasts the information to a dozen lenders. Once the SSN is entered, the consumer has no control. You did Rocket and it worked for you. You were lucky. Even so, I would never recommend any first time borrower go online.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM

19,427 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Quote:
They are fine, but there are many, like Lending Tree, who broadcasts the information to a dozen lenders. Once the SSN is entered, the consumer has no control. You did Rocket and it worked for you. You were lucky. Even so, I would never recommend any first time borrower go online.
Excellent advice - and I say that as someone who actually sold mortgages and refi's with an online brokerage!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,405,208 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I just liked the idea of typing in my info in private and having a figure pop out in a few minutes. Didn't think of the potential risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages