Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 AM

18 posts, read 24,889 times

Advertisements

disregard.

Last edited by heresjohnnee; 12-24-2016 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Default Is $500k house too expensive for us?

We've always been financially conservative people who live well within our means. We've lived in a 2-family flat, which we own, for 8 years where our tenant has been paying all but $300/mo of our mortgage. So taking on any size mortgage feels unfamiliar to us. We've worked hard to make sure we're in a good position for our next move and don't want to make a bad choice. When we move out of the 2-family, we'll keep it and it will provide positive cash flow.

We're in our late 30's, no kids (or plans for them) and very little debt. The house we want is bigger than we need but we can really see ourselves living there for many years to come. It doesn't have good schools working in favor of resale value, but it's in a stable area. I know we don't NEED the number of bedrooms or square footage. I know taxes and insurance will cost us more. It's definitely a WANT situation for us and we're ok with that as long as we're not taking on unmanageable debt.

Combined income is $175K and mine is expected to continue to rise (by at least $30k next year).
The house is $500k and we'd put 20% down.
Financed amount would be $400k.
Taxes $5200/yr, Insurance 1900/yr.

TOTAL DEBT
PITI would be $2550/mo (4.25% 30yr conventional fixed)
Cars total $500/mo
Credit cards $100/mo (paid to zero each month)
2-family PITI $1069/mo, income $19,000/yr (after we rent out our unit)

We are preapproved with our lender already.

We have about $160k in savings, and $85k in retirement.

Do we take the plunge before rates go up higher? Buy less house and focus on retirement savings? It seems that we can afford the house, it's just hard to tell whether we're being reasonable since we're coming from the perspective of living dirt cheap in our investment property! We could certainly buy less and save more but aren't sure whether it's critical to do so.

Thoughts?

Old 12-24-2016, 11:52 AM

1,400 posts, read 864,725 times
ok

Last edited by 1grin_g0; 12-24-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Default Are we overspending at $500k?

We've always been financially conservative people who live well within our means. We've lived in a 2-family flat, which we own, for 8 years where our tenant has been paying all but $300/mo of our mortgage. So taking on any size mortgage feels unfamiliar to us. We've worked hard to make sure we're in a good position for our next move and don't want to make a bad choice. When we move out of the 2-family, we'll keep it and it will provide positive cash flow.

We're in our late 30's, no kids (or plans for them) and very little debt. The house we want is bigger than we need but we can really see ourselves living there for many years to come. It doesn't have good schools working in favor of resale value, but it's in a stable area. I know we don't NEED the number of bedrooms or square footage. I know taxes and insurance will cost us more. It's definitely a WANT situation for us and we're ok with that as long as we're not taking on unmanageable debt.

Combined income is $175K and mine is expected to continue to rise (by at least $30k next year).

TOTAL DEBT
Cars total $500/mo

Do we take the plunge before rates go up higher? Buy less house and focus on retirement savings? It seems that we can afford the house, it's just hard to tell whether we're being reasonable since we're coming from the perspective of living dirt cheap in our investment property! We could certainly buy less and save more but aren't sure whether it's critical to do so.

Thoughts?

Old 12-24-2016, 04:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Sorry to say, I'd call it 50/50. I'll say if you really like the place and expect you may end up in a house rich, lifestyle poor situation to have your dream house it might be justified.

If you find your finances stressed you could always sell the rental.

Myself, I paid way more than I was justified because I'm retired and wanted my dream house. Same price range, I paid cash, worried about what will happen when I get really old, may need assisted living, decided I have enough assets I can always sell out everything if that's what it takes. At least I know I'll have 25-30 years in a beautiful home like I always wanted for my retirement.

By the way, IMO rates are headed for a long term increasing trend. I think people who are thinking of buying a home should do it sooner rather than later.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Only you can decide if you can afford it. None of us know what your monthly expenses are or lifestyle. If you had a budget, you would know exactly what you can afford. Its simple math.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:56 PM

564 posts, read 873,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnnee View Post

TOTAL DEBT
Cars total $500/mo

Thoughts?
Not enough information. What percentage of your pay do you save for retirement. You describe your debt as "little". How much is "little"? How much is your investment property worth and how much do you still owe on it? Do you have any big expenses coming up, such as repairs to the rental, upgrades or furnishings to the home you want to buy?

Old 12-24-2016, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
It seems a reasonable price for your income, as long as you are not taking a lot of international vacations, eating at expensive restaurants a lot, or other spending not mentioned. A house can be a good part of your retirement portfolio, assuming in an area that will go up in value and you stay there. Ours for example, cost $190k and is now worth $700k, and we plan to downsize when we retire in 4-6 years, and if all goes well, pay cash for the next house.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:03 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
I'm more concerned that you have only $85k in retirement with $175+ in salary. You guys should be stashing $35k a year into a 401k (15%).

Why so much in "savings" - again, you'd be farther ahead with that in a Roth IRA or 401k.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm more concerned that you have only $85k in retirement with $175+ in salary. You guys should be stashing $35k a year into a 401k (15%).

Why so much in "savings" - again, you'd be farther ahead with that in a Roth IRA or 401k.
The higher salary is new just this past year. We're both self employed so 401k isn't an option. We do have Roth IRAs and definitely need to focus on funding them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages