Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM

26 posts, read 95,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
A bonus for the bank?? The money goes to private insurers. And it does help people buy allowing them to purchase without saving up 20% down.
PMI does NOTHING for the actual borrower. Anyone borrowing over 80% LTV looking at having to pay this would be doing themselves a huge disservice if they dont look into a combo/piggyback loan to avoid it. PMI is like throwing money out the window!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
actually you're incorrect.

PMI is better than the combo loans.

If you foreclose, the PMI may cover the loss btwn the loan amount, and the sold foreclosure.

If you weren't paying the PMI, then you would owe the difference (deficiency judgement) (in most states)

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerguy View Post
PMI does NOTHING for the actual borrower. Anyone borrowing over 80% LTV looking at having to pay this would be doing themselves a huge disservice if they dont look into a combo/piggyback loan to avoid it. PMI is like throwing money out the window!
So, would you consider the extra interest being charged on the 2nd compared to the 1st as "money out the window" as well???

When you break it down it is usually 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I realize that PMI helps people to purchase homes without 20 percent down. However, that money does not pay down the principal nor is it deductible. Borrowers without 20 percent down are still paying interest on their loan plus PMI. Keep in mind that this is only my opinion, but I consider PMI a bonus to the lender.
Actually it is tax dedcutible, at least temporarily (2207 &2008).

Sure there are ways to get your financing with less than 20% down and no PMI, BUT beleive me you will be paying more in one way or another. You can do a LPMI loan (lender paid mort. ins.), but it will come at a higher interest rate. Or, you can do the 80/20 you mention, but the rate on the 20 will be substantially higher than the 80.

It is not a "bonus" to the bank because the bank does not care which option you choose...PMI, LPMI or piggyback. Just know that if you are putting less than 20% down you will be paying "extra" anyway you look at it.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
actually you're incorrect.

PMI is better than the combo loans.

If you foreclose, the PMI may cover the loss btwn the loan amount, and the sold foreclosure.

If you weren't paying the PMI, then you would owe the difference (deficiency judgement) (in most states)
Nice SPIN!! PMI protects the LENDER. Plain and simple.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Actually it is tax dedcutible, at least temporarily (2207 &2008).

Sure there are ways to get your financing with less than 20% down and no PMI, BUT beleive me you will be paying more in one way or another. You can do a LPMI loan (lender paid mort. ins.), but it will come at a higher interest rate. Or, you can do the 80/20 you mention, but the rate on the 20 will be substantially higher than the 80.

It is not a "bonus" to the bank because the bank does not care which option you choose...PMI, LPMI or piggyback. Just know that if you are putting less than 20% down you will be paying "extra" anyway you look at it.
Everytime I work up a loan the 80/20 shows more savings to the customer then the PMI option. I always have and will continue to put my borrowers in loans without PMI. Many of the 2nds on these piggybacks have no closing costs which also give additional savings.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
depends on how you look at it.

when your house burns down...who does insurance protect?
You or the mortgage lien on your home?
When you get into a car accident, and the car gets totalled..who does insurance protect?
You or the car loan?
When you get hurt....who does the insurance protect?
You or the hospital bills?

MyCommunity, HomePossible, and FHA have a lot less PMI than combo loans. I haven't done a combo loan in a long time due to the new products from lender paid PMI or the low PMI payments from other products.
Borrowers want a lower payment, and I'm not going to stick them with a 2nd loan just to make more money.

Quote:
Nice SPIN!! PMI protects the LENDER. Plain and simple.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Everytime I work up a loan the 80/20 shows more savings to the customer then the PMI option. I always have and will continue to put my borrowers in loans without PMI. Many of the 2nds on these piggybacks have no closing costs which also give additional savings.
That's great. I, more often than not, end up in doing the piggybacks as well.

THE POINT of my posts was that THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages