Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times

Advertisements

We are scheduled to close on Friday. Monday we got closing disclosures from the mortgage company to review and it had our cash to close listed. Today, we got an email from the title company scheduling the time of our closing, and they gave us wiring transfer instructions and told us the total amount needed to bring to closing.

The two amounts differ by exactly $1,200, and there's nothing in the closing costs or anything that add up to exactly $1,200. Who is supposed to have the exact amount needed to bring to closing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:36 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
The title company should have the final exact amounts.

IF that $1,200 doesn't seem to be detailed anywhere, call them and ask what it's for! It's probably adjustments to property taxes.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The title company should have the final exact amounts.

IF that $1,200 doesn't seem to be detailed anywhere, call them and ask what it's for!
The lender's amount was $1,200 more than the amount told to us by the title company. I've reached out to both and both say that their amount is accurate as the final amount. Since the payment is being made to the title company, I'm planning on just going with their amount, just don't want a nasty surprise at the closing table if the cashier's check is too low because the lender's amount was correct.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
This may depend on your area. In my area, the title company takes the lender's numbers and prepares the closing documents. There are usually minor differences, for example in the utility and tax prorations. $1200 exactly seems like a lot to me. Ours are usually off by under $100 for odds and ends.

I'm not a lender, but I believe that lenders can get in trouble if their estimates are off by more than a certain amount. So you should talk to your lender and the title company and find out WHY the big difference.

Edit* I see you posted while I was distracted while typing a response. That doesn't seem right to me that both of them say they are right. What does your agent say?

Old 02-22-2017, 04:12 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
What happened here is that the Lender has to get the Closing Disclosure out BEFORE the Title company and the Lender's Closing Department actually verify Final $$ due at closing, down to the penny. Lenders do their best, but think about how stupid the CFPB is to implement a rule that requires "Final" numbers to be sent to borrowers BEFORE the Final Calculation can begin.

So - verify with the Lender and Title. Both of them are racing to the finish for you.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM

They're going to investigate, but it looks like it's related to closing costs. We are relocating for a job and they are direct billing some of the closing costs to the relocation company. The lender had Title Lender's Policy and Title Owner's Policy as billed partially to me and partially to the relocation service, and the title company has both of those listed as paid for entirely by the relocation company. Those two line items are the only ones that are different.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
They're going to investigate, but it looks like it's related to closing costs. We are relocating for a job and they are direct billing some of the closing costs to the relocation company. The lender had Title Lender's Policy and Title Owner's Policy as billed partially to me and partially to the relocation service, and the title company has both of those listed as paid for entirely by the relocation company. Those two line items are the only ones that are different.
That's a bit of a Massive Detail you left out there.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfhtex View Post
that's a bit of a massive detail you left out there.
+1

Old 02-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Sorry, we weren't actually involved with the relocation company at all, they just gave us three mortgage companies they worked with and said if we went with one of those three everything would be handled without us needing to be involved so I had essentially forgotten there was a relocation company involved at all.

Lender got back again this morning and said that the title company is correct, there was a $1200 title premium adjustment credit that was accidentally removed and we're all good now with everybody on the same page.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Sorry, we weren't actually involved with the relocation company at all, they just gave us three mortgage companies they worked with and said if we went with one of those three everything would be handled without us needing to be involved so I had essentially forgotten there was a relocation company involved at all.

Lender got back again this morning and said that the title company is correct, there was a $1200 title premium adjustment credit that was accidentally removed and we're all good now with everybody on the same page.
Good deal. A $1,200 discrepancy is certainly worth fighting for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages