Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:27 AM

34 posts, read 31,976 times

Advertisements

Just completed a sales contract and noted the use of numerous printed signatures (in handwriting font form by the buyers on the contract. As the buyers and my realtor had no objections I assume that font signatures are now now legally acceptable. Has this in fact become common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreos View Post
Just completed a sales contract and noted the use of numerous printed signatures (in handwriting font form by the buyers on the contract. As the buyers and my realtor had no objections I assume that font signatures are now now legally acceptable. Has this in fact become common?
Yes it is common, they are known as electronic signatures or e-signed

Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
We signed every contract, every addendum, every piece of paperwork prior to closing, by electronic signature. At closing we hand signed all papers.

In this computer age, it makes it much easier to get things done. The documents are sent via the internet securely, click to sign, send back electronically. Beats having to send things back and forth through snail mail.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Yes and no

Signing via a program that requires the signer to certify that the person clicking the button is the person named is allowed. Programs like Docusign or Authentisign. Those programs come with a certificate stating that it wasn't just Joe Smith off the street corner typing the name. They have a timestamp somewhere on the page (varies by program) stating exactly when the signature took place. And they get emailed to the clients email address, so someone would have to hack their email account in order to forge a signature for them. It shows where it was sent in the certification, so there is no question later whether someone else could have signed for the signer. It was either them, or someone they let into their email, or else someone hacked their email account just for the purpose of signing docs in their name.

I've seen some contracts come back where the client has just used a program like Word to type their name in a chosen font. That isn't counted as a legal signature, as there is absolutely no way to show who did it.

And you can't do either for some documents. Many loan programs and all title companies still require a pen and ink notarized signature.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Ours was Docusign. Now that you mention it, Lacerta, there were just a couple that we had to print, sign then scan and email. Can't remember if we actually had to physically mail them also.

At closing, you do need to sign with ink on paper.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:04 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,497 times
Yep, very common. We have been using electronic signatures for years now and they are legally binding. Some of the programs allow you to create your own signature rather than using the standard font selections. Really is just a matter of preference although I do have my personally created signature saved for contract documents I need to sign.

I believe we will see a day where buyers go in, sit down at a computer, and electronically sign their closing docs.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Yeah this crap is all new to me.
Last time I applied for a mortgage I either went to an office or somebody came to the house and just passed an assembly line of papers past me and just kept saying "sign here" until I was done.

Now, all this stuff is getting emailed to me with kind greetings and instructions to please sign and return and I'm like "duh"...how do I do that on a computer?
I'm sure there is an easier way but I've just been printing out the stuff, signing, scanning, and emailing back.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:36 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Now, all this stuff is getting emailed to me with kind greetings and instructions to please sign and return and I'm like "duh"...how do I do that on a computer?
I'm sure there is an easier way but I've just been printing out the stuff, signing, scanning, and emailing back.
Your realtor will walk you through the e-sign process. If you have already printed everything out and scanned and signed it and sent it back then maybe there's nothing else to sign, but once you get into the e-sign process it is very, very easy, and all the printing out, scanning, notarizing, etc., is done away with. The first time you do it seems very confusing but it's really not. More and more realtors are starting to use these programs because the population is so much more on the move, it just saves lots of time and travel money.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
My one complaint on this software is that it makes the process TOO easy, and clients tend not to even look at what they are signing. That happens some with pen and ink, but it is even more prevalent with digital signing. Which can lead to more misunderstandings, more mistakes that should have been caught, etc.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:50 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Exactly. I moved 80+ miles away but I'm still using my mortgage broker from where I used to live so everything is being done electronically. Even so, my lawyer and real estate agent are local but they are still doing everything electronically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages