Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 984 times

Advertisements

My sister has been persuading me to get a home since she thinks that I'm paying too much for rent with my girlfriend ($1200/month for 2b2b) and houses in state where I live is relatively cheap (AZ) and for tax deduction purpose. Problem is I have tremendous amount of student loan (health care field) so I'm debating hard whether I should get a house now or not. Any advise/opinion welcome. Following is my situation:

Personal Details
Single, but will be married soon this year
Good Credit: 790-800
Doctoral Degree
33 years old

Financials
Income: Worked as independent contractor/self employed last year. The gross income on my 1099 is $170k
Cash/Liquid Investments: 60k
No other equity...

Debts
Student Loans: $2000/month [~$270k outstanding]; Just recently refi it; It was 4k/month with 7+% fixed interest

The house pricing range I'm looking at is between $300k - 350k. I was thinking to continue live like a student and knock down my student loan first but that would like me at least another 5 years... Any input appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 05:52 AM

43,213 posts, read 76,918,931 times
You are generating enough income, that you really need a good financial planner, CFP, and/or CPA or tax attorney to advise you.
Seriously. You are on a path to very very good wealth accumulation, and a home purchase is a small matter in the greater scheme of things.

It may be quite reasonable to buy a house. Your sister may be right, but there is a LOT more to consider besides cash flow and tax advantages.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 AM

272 posts, read 216,202 times
Does the girlfriend have a decent income? If so why buy now if you are getting married soon?

Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM

3,805 posts, read 9,309,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslin1118 View Post
My sister has been persuading me to get a home since she thinks that I'm paying too much for rent with my girlfriend ($1200/month for 2b2b) and houses in state where I live is relatively cheap (AZ) and for tax deduction purpose. Problem is I have tremendous amount of student loan (health care field) so I'm debating hard whether I should get a house now or not. Any advise/opinion welcome. Following is my situation:

Personal Details
Doctoral Degree
33 years old

Financials
Income: Worked as independent contractor/self employed last year. The gross income on my 1099 is $170k
No other equity...

Debts
Student Loans: $2000/month [~$270k outstanding]; Just recently refi it; It was 4k/month with 7+% fixed interest

The house pricing range I'm looking at is between $300k - 350k. I was thinking to continue live like a student and knock down my student loan first but that would like me at least another 5 years... Any input appreciated
Only 1 year S/E = must go Freddie Mac but also must use NET business income, either as seen on Line 31 of your Schedule C (with possible enhancements), or via examination of Business Returns if you filed those.

Bottom line: Nobody claims zero expenses, and the $170k number is not your actual income as calculated for mortgage qualification.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:55 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,717,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslin1118 View Post

Personal Details
Doctoral Degree
33 years old

Financials
No other equity...

Debts

You should buy a starter home for less money. If homes are cheap where you are $300K is a very nice home. You should find a home that gets your mortgage to be about the same as you are paying for rent.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,714,057 times
Since you are planning on getting married soon I would include the GF on the decision.

I also agree that you should buy a home. You need the tax write off! You can get a really nice home for $350k in AZ. I would go even lower at no more than $300K. don't over extend yourself. You can definitely afford it! Might as well start to build some equity and get into a home before rates go up! Home ownership is a good financial decision IMO!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM

748 posts, read 829,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Since you are planning on getting married soon I would include the GF on the decision.

I also agree that you should buy a home. You need the tax write off! You can get a really nice home for $350k in AZ. I would go even lower at no more than $300K. don't over extend yourself. You can definitely afford it! Might as well start to build some equity and get into a home before rates go up! Home ownership is a good financial decision IMO!
No guarantee that this tax write off will continue to exist -- nor will the student loan write off exist as a guaranteed deduction.

All of that said - in your field and income range, get a CPA or Financial Planner who has your *fiduciary interest* (these exact words should be on any contracts you sign) in mind. They'll give MUCH better options than we can without knowing specifics.

CGab is correct - def include the GF! I also agree, a home is probably a good choice. Do a 15 year mortgage if you can afford it - then in your 40s you can save tons of cash for retirement and college for kids.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:09 AM

43,213 posts, read 76,918,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
No guarantee that this tax write off will continue to exist -- nor will the student loan write off exist as a guaranteed deduction.

All of that said - in your field and income range, get a CPA or Financial Planner who has your *fiduciary interest* (these exact words should be on any contracts you sign) in mind. They'll give MUCH better options than we can without knowing specifics.

CGab is correct - def include the GF! I also agree, a home is probably a good choice. Do a 15 year mortgage if you can afford it - then in your 40s you can save tons of cash for retirement and college for kids.
YUP!
Ignore all other advice in the thread, until you have done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages