Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Is it better to get a job and work hard just to pay bills and barely get buy and possibly have to take on a second job
or have a kid get a part time job,live in low income apartment,get some food stamps,get government assistance and help with child care.

I know people in both situations,some people in the last situation work full time but they wont get a second job to try and bring in some money.I know some people who get lots of help from the government and get $400 a month for groceries and buy 20inch rims,flat screen tvs,and other junk they dont need and that people who work hard cant afford.

In the first situation I know people that pay around 4-500 dollars for daycare a month.

I manage my money well but find it hard to pay for everything,groceries get expensive and gas for the vehicles along with utilities,I dont see how some people do it.

Im not saying I wanna do this but what is your opinion on this?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about, no one is living anywhere near fine on government help. I have worked 38 years of my life since I was 12 to help my mother who was a single parent make ends meet, I served 8 years in the US marine Corp, and have worked everyday since then to support my family. I have always paid taxes, last year alone I paid over $8,000.00 in income taxes plus property taxes, school taxes, sales taxes and just about every tax there is. I lost my job five and a half months ago and haven't been able to find work, I have three daughters to take care of and an receiving $1000 a month in unemployment compensation but my expenses are over $4000 a month, yes I cut off the cell phone, the cable hell we don't even turn on the A/c, or the lights unless absolutely necessary for that matter. My savings are completely gone and there are no programs that will help, I am three months behind in my mortgage and just barely cover the utilities on my home. I finally applied for food assistance from the state and believe me it's no party to apply, it's made so difficult to get so you won't even try, they say that I don't qualify for much because my earnings are too excessive, that I make too much money. I will probably lose my home, and don't know what I'll do because my unemployment compensation runs out in about two months and even then it wouldnt be enough to rent even a one bedroom apartment here in South Florida. So many company's have now gone bankrupt like Circuit City and Sound Advice and so many others are letting people go. Even Macy's has laid off 7,000 employees. I have even tried to get work at the burger joints and no one is hiring. I have even contemplated suicide because I could leave my children enough money from my insurance, believe me when I say, it's an awful feeling to see no light at the end of the tunnel.

In the end, there are no people out there "living" on government help, they are barely surviving if at all. I used to think the same as you that these people were making all this money and living great on their government check, well that's why there is so much crime in those neighborhoods, there's no way families can live like that. Those so called people you say you see with the 22 inch rims and such, aren't the ones trying to raise a family on the measley funds given to them by the government, those are probably some criminal element selling drugs or such. Don't be so quick to judge others until you have lived in their shoes.

For the first time in my 50 years I have a real fear for this country, I don't know what so many Americans struggling to stay afloat are going to do, the government is spending trillions of dollars to help corporations and doing nothing for the average citizen, they say that they need to help the corporations because it will save jobs, but the corporations they're helping are the banks and mortgage companies. If they took those trillions of dollars and spread it instead among the "citizens" of this country and we all used it to pay our mortgages and buy those essentials we need to live the money would get to the exact people they are giving it to anyway and stimulate the tax base that would eventually pay back the debt that the government is acquiring.

"God Bless America & our Troops"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM

50 posts, read 202,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi4evr View Post
You obviously don't know what you're talking about, no one is living anywhere near fine on government help. I have worked 38 years of my life since I was 12 to help my mother who was a single parent make ends meet, I served 8 years in the US marine Corp, and have worked everyday since then to support my family. I have always paid taxes, last year alone I paid over $8,000.00 in income taxes plus property taxes, school taxes, sales taxes and just about every tax there is. I lost my job five and a half months ago and haven't been able to find work, I have three daughters to take care of and an receiving $1000 a month in unemployment compensation but my expenses are over $4000 a month, yes I cut off the cell phone, the cable hell we don't even turn on the A/c, or the lights unless absolutely necessary for that matter. My savings are completely gone and there are no programs that will help, I am three months behind in my mortgage and just barely cover the utilities on my home. I finally applied for food assistance from the state and believe me it's no party to apply, it's made so difficult to get so you won't even try, they say that I don't qualify for much because my earnings are too excessive, that I make too much money. I will probably lose my home, and don't know what I'll do because my unemployment compensation runs out in about two months and even then it wouldnt be enough to rent even a one bedroom apartment here in South Florida. So many company's have now gone bankrupt like Circuit City and Sound Advice and so many others are letting people go. Even Macy's has laid off 7,000 employees. I have even tried to get work at the burger joints and no one is hiring. I have even contemplated suicide because I could leave my children enough money from my insurance, believe me when I say, it's an awful feeling to see no light at the end of the tunnel.

In the end, there are no people out there "living" on government help, they are barely surviving if at all. I used to think the same as you that these people were making all this money and living great on their government check, well that's why there is so much crime in those neighborhoods, there's no way families can live like that. Those so called people you say you see with the 22 inch rims and such, aren't the ones trying to raise a family on the measley funds given to them by the government, those are probably some criminal element selling drugs or such. Don't be so quick to judge others until you have lived in their shoes.

For the first time in my 50 years I have a real fear for this country, I don't know what so many Americans struggling to stay afloat are going to do, the government is spending trillions of dollars to help corporations and doing nothing for the average citizen, they say that they need to help the corporations because it will save jobs, but the corporations they're helping are the banks and mortgage companies. If they took those trillions of dollars and spread it instead among the "citizens" of this country and we all used it to pay our mortgages and buy those essentials we need to live the money would get to the exact people they are giving it to anyway and stimulate the tax base that would eventually pay back the debt that the government is acquiring.

"God Bless America & our Troops"
damn thats rough man, good luck to you. i hope you find a job soon, dont give up

Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
SemperFi

I hated my time in the military ( Air Force in the late '60s & early '70s ), but I'm all in favor of the government taking MUCH better care of anyone who serves in the military. IMO, anyone who serves a term in any branch of the service should NEVER spend another nickle on taxes or health care. Every X-service member should be issued an ID card that automatically exempts them form taxes of any kind, and gives access to FREE health care anywhere in the USA. It is an utter disgrace the way the government basically disowns military men and women when they leave the service. They build walls and other sentimental memorials but do nothing to meet the needs of the people who served.

BTW, I'm in good health and doing OK financially, so I'm not proposing these benefits for myself ( but I wouldn't mind it ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages