Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,805,539 times

Advertisements

About 2 months ago I was getting a lot of letters in the mail, they've started to slow now

I also received a voicemail from the original loan company stating we are a preferred customer and they want to talk about refinancing to remove (some) of the insurance

Our current interest rate is 4.00%. Balance is $218,558.58 on an original loan amount of $223,850.00

Here are the other details:

Principal & Interest $1,068.69
Homeowner's Insurance(s) $45.50
MIP Mortgage Insurance $145.49
County Tax $123.24
Shortage $0.20

We've had the loan for about 1.5 years, and I understand it may be too early to do anything, but property values have gone up and our credit rating has improved

I'm not sure what the current interest rate environment is, and whether we can lower our payments or not

Any suggestions? Or would I be wasting my time calling loan officers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
About 2 months ago I was getting a lot of letters in the mail, they've started to slow now

I also received a voicemail from the original loan company stating we are a preferred customer and they want to talk about refinancing to remove (some) of the insurance

Our current interest rate is 4.00%. Balance is $218,558.58 on an original loan amount of $223,850.00

Here are the other details:

Principal & Interest $1,068.69
Homeowner's Insurance(s) $45.50
MIP Mortgage Insurance $145.49
County Tax $123.24
Shortage $0.20

We've had the loan for about 1.5 years, and I understand it may be too early to do anything, but property values have gone up and our credit rating has improved

I'm not sure what the current interest rate environment is, and whether we can lower our payments or not

Any suggestions? Or would I be wasting my time calling loan officers?
Never do an FHA Streamline.

If I were you, I'd refi into a conventional loan asap and get away from the permanent FHA Monthly mortgage insurance.

There is no tangible benefit in doing an FHA streamline.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 PM

66 posts, read 61,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Never do an FHA Streamline.

If I were you, I'd refi into a conventional loan asap and get away from the permanent FHA Monthly mortgage insurance.

There is no tangible benefit in doing an FHA streamline.
That is not completely true, but since you have one of the newer FHA streamline loans you are definitely stuck with permanent mortgage insurance. Your best best bet is probably to wait until you can refinance out at 80% equity. Your home would have to appraise at 20% higher than the current mortgage balance.

Sometimes it is easier to refinance using the streamline program and your not so good credit prevents you from refinancing. That was the case with me and it made sense to use the streamline program to lower my payments $150 a month. Not much, but something.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinusa View Post
That is not completely true, but since you have one of the newer FHA streamline loans you are definitely stuck with permanent mortgage insurance. Your best best bet is probably to wait until you can refinance out at 80% equity. Your home would have to appraise at 20% higher than the current mortgage balance.

Sometimes it is easier to refinance using the streamline program and your not so good credit prevents you from refinancing. That was the case with me and it made sense to use the streamline program to lower my payments $150 a month. Not much, but something.
So if I do stream line fha refinance now I can always do the conventional refinance later also (when at 80% equity)?

My credit is good now, 760 I think

Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Quote:
So if I do stream line fha refinance now I can always do the conventional refinance later also (when at 80% equity)?

My credit is good now, 760 I think
If I were you, I'd refi into a conventional loan asap and get away from the permanent FHA Monthly mortgage insurance, even if you don't have 80% equity, you might still save money.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If I were you, I'd refi into a conventional loan asap and get away from the permanent FHA Monthly mortgage insurance, even if you don't have 80% equity, you might still save money.
ah got it, i didn't know you could do that without the 80%. thank you

Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
ah got it, i didn't know you could do that without the 80%. thank you
You will still pay mortgage insurance with a conventional loan with less than 80% LTV, but it will be until it gets to 78% LTV or 80% and you request it to be dropped. As opposed to the life of loan.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Refinancing often looks like an attractive way to save money monthly, but you must consider how long you will remain in the home before the cost is paid for.

For example let's say the refi costs you $3000. You save $50/month on your payment. It will take you 60 months before you break even on the costs. Will you live in the house that long?

This, of course, doesn't reflect any interest you save. That's often not a big factor this early in a typical 30 year loan and few people live in a house long enough for it to be significant for an early refinance.

Obviously not paying PMI is the biggest savings potential.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Refinancing often looks like an attractive way to save money monthly, but you must consider how long you will remain in the home before the cost is paid for.

For example let's say the refi costs you $3000. You save $50/month on your payment. It will take you 60 months before you break even on the costs. Will you live in the house that long?

This, of course, doesn't reflect any interest you save. That's often not a big factor this early in a typical 30 year loan and few people live in a house long enough for it to be significant for an early refinance.

Obviously not paying PMI is the biggest savings potential.
i'm not going to pay for the refi upfront, i want to get that portion rolled into the loan

Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Quote:
i'm not going to pay for the refi upfront, i want to get that portion rolled into the loan
The cost exists whether you write a a check for it or roll it into the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages