Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

I have a rental property in Boca Raton, FL and it is worth approximately 395K. I have a 30 year fixed rate P & I mortgage on it through Citi Mortgage at a rate of 4.25% and owe around 203K on the first mortgage (monthly payment $1,082). Then, I have an HELOC through B of A for 140K which is a variable rate and currently at 3.99%. The ten year period on the HELOC is coming to an end in December and while I know I need to eventually, cannot afford to start paying the full P & I on the HELOC. I currently pay around $457 monthly with just interest on the HELOC and this will go up to $1,200 or so once they add principal into the payment.

Any suggestions on how I can keep my payment at around the $500 mark for the HELOC? Then, once I am financially able, I will begin to pay down the principal on the HELOC.

Are there other banks that will give me a new HELOC and allow me to transfer the balance with a high LTV like this on a rental property?

Should I look at refinancing the entire amount including the first mortgage and HELOC in one loan? Not sure if can refinance a rental property with such a high LTV?

My credit score is around 740.

I very much appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by toly4598; 05-27-2017 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
If it were me I would sell it. Sounds like too much aggravation. Again...that's just me.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:58 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
If it were me I would sell it. Sounds like too much aggravation. Again...that's just me.
My thought exactly. It doesn't even sound like a good investment. Heck the rental income isn't even covering the mortgages.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:28 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I don't think the OP can get a different HELOC to pay off the current one as it will only be given for a certain percentage of the value.

BoA has nowadays only HELOC's with a three year minimum length or if you sell prior to the three year, you have to pay for the closing fees.
Refi may or may not be a possibility and your interest rate will probably be higher.

To me it sounds you are not able to afford the property since you can t afford the payments on the HELOC when the time frame expires.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,564 times
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and providing feedback. I may end up taking your advice and selling it. I should have mentioned in the initial post that I was hoping to eventually retire and occupy this property in ten or so years.

Are you aware of any banks that will give me a new HELOC and allow me to transfer the balance with a high LTV like this on a rental property?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toly4598 View Post
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and providing feedback. I may end up taking your advice and selling it. I should have mentioned in the initial post that I was hoping to eventually retire and occupy this property in ten or so years.

Are you aware of any banks that will give me a new HELOC and allow me to transfer the balance with a high LTV like this on a rental property?
First I will directly answer your question: I do not believe any traditional lenders / banks would be comfortable extending your existing HELOC given the fact that you are losing money on the rent and the equity is too small especially for non-owner occupied property.

Given that your timeline to convert this to your retirement home is "ten years or so" I would recommend that you rethink your approach to this property. That might involve selling it and it might involve rethinking the whole idea of owning a home when you retire -- Retirees, Should You Buy or Rent When Downsizing?

Of course without knowing more about your whole financial situation, long term health prospects and other details it is very hard to say what really makes sense for "ten years or so" into the future... Did anybody thing the White House would have its current status even 10 months ago?!?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,075 times
Unfortunately, a refinance will not work as your LTV is high. If you have enough equity in your primary residence, you can attempt to refinance and pay off your HELOC with your primary residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages