Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I feel like I lucked out. My rate is 3.75% and I paid no money down (VA loan).
This sounds like you already closed on your house. You can never compare a rate you received on a different date than what someone has today. Rates change all the time. That's like someone from 2 years ago saying, "Ha, I got a 3.25% and would never take 3.75%!" You have to compare apples to apples, and a VA loan is different than a conventional loan.

Also, if you don't have disability, you paid a funding fee that the OP isn't paying. That adds up very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 01:15 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This sounds like you already closed on your house. You can never compare a rate you received on a different date than what someone has today. Rates change all the time. That's like someone from 2 years ago saying, "Ha, I got a 3.25% and would never take 3.75%!" You have to compare apples to apples, and a VA loan is different than a conventional loan.

Also, if you don't have disability, you paid a funding fee that the OP isn't paying. That adds up very fast.
Sure, I paid a funding fee (funding fee was about $9,000 on a $460,000 condo if I recall vs. the $46,000 - $92,000 I would've paid under more traditional mortgage down payment deals . . . lord knows that I could not afford that at the time I closed on my property), but I didn't pay a down payment and I'm not paying mortgage insurance. Had I put 10% down, my rate would've been about 3.3%. I don't disagree with your other parts, but even when I got my deal last year, I knew others purchasing around the same time whose rates were higher. Granted, we're different people with different credit scores (that much is clear), but I still think I got a pretty good deal.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Sure, I paid a funding fee (funding fee was about $9,000 on a $460,000 condo if I recall vs. the $46,000 - $92,000 I would've paid under more traditional mortgage down payment deals . . . lord knows that I could not afford that at the time I closed on my property)
The problem with you comparison is that you will never see the funding fee again. You basically threw $9000 away to keep a down payment in your pocket. At least the down payment goes towards your equity. I rather have equity than a $9k closing cost.

I explain this to my clients all the time. Many VA buyers don't understand the funding fee. VA financing is a no-brainer if you have disability because it's waived, but when you have a funding fee that is just a closing cost and not putting equity into the house, that's a lot of money to "throw away".

Old 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The problem with you comparison is that you will never see the funding fee again. You basically threw $9000 away to keep a down payment in your pocket. At least the down payment goes towards your equity. I rather have equity than a $9k closing cost.

I explain this to my clients all the time. Many VA buyers don't understand the funding fee. VA financing is a no-brainer if you have disability because it's waived, but when you have a funding fee that is just a closing cost and not putting equity into the house, that's a lot of money to "throw away".
Those are fair points and I'd understand that many would prefer to not go the VA route for those reasons. But, for me, I'd have to delay my purchase for another year at least if I had a traditional loan in order to afford a 10% down payment, at which point the value of my property/or a comparable property (I'm in a hot market) could have very well increased beyond what the old funding fee would have been. I write "or a comparable property" as odds are that my property would not have been on the market if I had to wait that a year. And with condos/single family home prices where I am increasing pretty steadily each year, I'd be paying more money for a comparable unit if I had to wait. So, in my case, it definitely worked out. And my situation is what many people factor in.

Of course, this doesn't even touch on the lack of PMI, which is also a lot of money to "throw away."

VA loans definitely aren't for everyone (and if I had the money to go traditional, I may have done so . . . but, then again, if I had the money to buy in cash, I may not have taken out a loan, etc.), but the loan definitely made sense in my case.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Those are fair points and I'd understand that many would prefer to not go the VA route for those reasons. But, for me, I'd have to delay my purchase for another year at least if I had a traditional loan in order to afford a 10% down payment, at which point the value of my property/or a comparable property (I'm in a hot market) could have very well increased beyond what the old funding fee would have been. I write "or a comparable property" as odds are that my property would not have been on the market if I had to wait that a year. And with condos/single family home prices where I am increasing pretty steadily each year, I'd be paying more money for a comparable unit if I had to wait. So, in my case, it definitely worked out. And my situation is what many people factor in.

Of course, this doesn't even touch on the lack of PMI, which is also a lot of money to "throw away."

VA loans definitely aren't for everyone (and if I had the money to go traditional, I may have done so . . . but, then again, if I had the money to buy in cash, I may not have taken out a loan, etc.), but the loan definitely made sense in my case.
I understand. I had a guy who didn't want to worry about selling his current house for the down payment with his relo, so he forked up the $7700 for his funding fee. He then took his time getting it ready and selling it later. It's definitely an option for people when in certain situations. I'm just saying a lot of people get into VA loans and don't understand there are 3% and 3.5% down options where the funding fee could have better uses. You don't need 10% or 20% down these days.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 PM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamianles808 View Post
I'm looking at a loan of about $230k and doing a 30 year fixed conventional loan.
Sale price is $264k, I'm getting a gift of equity for 13% of this, which makes my loan come out to $230k.

My credit score is 800+.

My broker told me that doing a Conventional loan will give me a 4.125% interest rate (no points). I have really excellent credit and was expecting less, but is expecting too much?
Thats a good deal, no points! and not even 20% down.

I just got 4.125 too on similar loan amount, but I had 30%+ down - & no points too!.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 PM

31 posts, read 96,055 times
Quote:
Going the VA loan route is also one of my options. My broker said the rate I would get would also be around there. Did putting $0 down make a difference with your monthly payments?

How were your closing costs? Because you'd have to pay the closing + the funding fees, correct? I'm really interested to know how much that is.

Thanks for your reply to my OP.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM

31 posts, read 96,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I work in title, so I only see what comes across my desk from lenders. The low end of what I am seeing is mostly 4.25 and 4.375. If I come across 4% or lower, it is usually an ARM or they've been in the refi process for many months. So, I would consider that a good rate right now.
Thanks! I appreciate your insight!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamianles808 View Post
Going the VA loan route is also one of my options. My broker said the rate I would get would also be around there. Did putting $0 down make a difference with your monthly payments?

How were your closing costs? Because you'd have to pay the closing + the funding fees, correct? I'm really interested to know how much that is.

Thanks for your reply to my OP.
My closing costs and loan origination fee together came out to $468k (my purchase price was $459k), all of which I rolled into the loan.

In terms of putting no money down, yes it made a difference with my costs. Had I put down 10%, I believe I would be saving between $200-$300 a month. While no chump change, the no money down deal was still a lifesaver for me.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:16 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Oil and water. You also paid anywhere from 2.14% to 3.3% in the way of a funding fee added to your loan balance......so you will be upside down for a while. But it shouldn't matter if you plan to stay.

OP, if you were to compare rates between an 80% Fannie Mae LTV and a 90% LTV Fannie Mae loan, the rate for the 90% LTV would actually be lower. Why? The 90% LTV is a more desirable loan on the secondary market - it's insured. If you want to check it out, Google "Fannie LLPA October 2016" and the 5 or 6 page PDF should be there. Those are the "add ons" to base rates to determine someone's final rate. So for this exercise, let's assume we are starting at 4% and 0 points. Now, look at those charts to see what the difference is between an 80% LTV and a 90% LTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages