Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

I am halfway through the mortgage process when I find out that one of the military annuities I get every month is stopping in October of this year. (Thank you Congress). Very poor timing and it causes a bit of an issue with my debt to income ratio. The mortgage company I am working with won't consider the income from my job because I haven't been there two years and I was not working (because I didn't need to) since 2003. However I worked almost steadily from 1972-2003 with short breaks when my children were young and I have been at my current job since May of 2016 and I received a raise on my one year anniversary. My income is higher than the annuity was.

Is this the standard procedure not allowing my income because I haven't been there two years? Are all mortgage companies going to tell me the same thing or should I try and find a different company, maybe Quicken?

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 07-20-2017 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am halfway through the mortgage process when I find out that one of the military annuities I get every month is stopping in October of this year. (Thank you Congress). Very poor timing and it causes a bit of an issue with my debt to income ratio. The mortgage company I am working with won't consider the income from my job because I haven't been there two years and I was not working (because I didn't need to) since 2003. However I worked almost steadily from 1972-2003 with short breaks when my children were young and I have been at my current job since May of 2016 and I received a raise on my one year anniversary. My income is higher than the annuity was.

Is this the standard procedure not allowing my income because I haven't been there two years? Are all mortgage companies going to tell me the same thing or should I try and find a different company, maybe Quicken?
First, stop with the Quicken.

Is the less-than-2-years job Part time?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM

68 posts, read 90,073 times
Hi,
I think you should contact a financial advisor, who has expertise in dealing with a mortgage.
Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 PM

255 posts, read 451,454 times
YES, standard procedure unless you're dealing with a local bank who portfolios their loans or a credit union that might have looser guidelines.

She doesn't need a financial advisor to find out the underwriting guidelines for approval. I spent many years in mortgage. Granted, I am now retired since 2008. But from what I hear it is tougher to get a mortgage now since the big fiasco.

Standard Freddie/Fannie guidelines used to be referred to as 2, 2, and 2. Two years good credit including housing payments, two years on the job and two years in current residence. If she is putting down a big down payment and everything else is good, no late payments, savings remaining in the bank after purchase, employer can write a letter that states something to the effect of she's a great employee and we plan to keep her barring any unforeseen circumstances, maybe they could have management make an exception. But everything else has to be very very good! No other weak aspects of the deal.

They couldn't care less about what she did from 1972 to 2003. It has no bearing on today.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
YES, standard procedure unless you're dealing with a local bank who portfolios their loans or a credit union that might have looser guidelines.

She doesn't need a financial advisor to find out the underwriting guidelines for approval. I spent many years in mortgage. Granted, I am now retired since 2008. But from what I hear it is tougher to get a mortgage now since the big fiasco.

Standard Freddie/Fannie guidelines used to be referred to as 2, 2, and 2. Two years good credit including housing payments, two years on the job and two years in current residence. If she is putting down a big down payment and everything else is good, no late payments, savings remaining in the bank after purchase, employer can write a letter that states something to the effect of she's a great employee and we plan to keep her barring any unforeseen circumstances, maybe they could have management make an exception. But everything else has to be very very good! No other weak aspects of the deal.

They couldn't care less about what she did from 1972 to 2003. It has no bearing on today.
huh, thats interesting- a friend just moved to town a few months ago and got a mortgage (typical 20%down) with just an offer letter from her new employer (its not an extension of her last workplace either- its a truly new employer)- I just assumed thats all you needed- she does have pretty good credit.... though....

Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
huh, thats interesting- a friend just moved to town a few months ago and got a mortgage (typical 20%down) with just an offer letter from her new employer (its not an extension of her last workplace either- its a truly new employer)- I just assumed thats all you needed- she does have pretty good credit.... though....
You can get a mortgage without working at a job for two years. I've done it twice. It can be 'messier' with less than two years in. I know Freddie will not count overtime or bonuses until you've been on the job for two years. Fannie will though. Part time employment won't count with less than two years (for any type of loan to my knowledge).

Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 AM

255 posts, read 451,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
If she's been in the same line of work for a decent amount of time and the previous employment record and pay is good and verifiable, and it's a profession, not just a job, especially if she moved for the job, then that would be acceptable to some lenders. Like if she's a nurse, CPA, etc. A career professional. And since the move explained why she relocated that makes sense as well.

Back in the old days, it used to be ok to have one exception (to the investor guidelines) if it was explained well, made sense and the rest of the loan package was otherwise within guidelines. Then when things got crazy, they started to make exception after exception because there were so many loans being done, the lenders got greedy and knew they could get away with it. So unless the loans were going to be retained by the lender (portfolio lending), they would package them up in a pool for sale to the investors. Investors being big entities that bought many loans such as Goldman Sachs. And when the investors would come to the lender to review the loans for sale, they would pick maybe one out five or ten to audit for adherence to the guidelines. They could kick out any loans they didn't want from the package. Those loans would be put into a different pool or package. The packages were sold according to credit grade, loan to value, types of properties, etc. Each grade would be priced accordingly.

Anyway, mortgage underwriting is never black and white. But after the whole financial debacle, they tightened things up a lot. It went from anyone could get a loan to no one could get a loan because the house of cards came down and the warehouse banks weren't fronting the lenders the money to stay in business. My career, 15 years in mortgage simply ceased to be as did many, many others in the industry.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Nothing brings a mortgage company to heel faster than when you tell them you found someone to do the loan. Find someone that can do the loan and if you don't have a loan commitment in a week, move the loan.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
First, stop with the Quicken.

Is the less-than-2-years job Part time?

Yes but I bring home more than the annuity that has been discontinued. It's a well established company and I job share with the boss' daughter.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:19 AM

I'm doing a VA loan, they require a credit score of at least 640, my credit score is over 700, no late payments on anything in over five years, credit cards paid off except for one with a $4500 balance (I always pay 3x the minimum payment) and a letter from my current landlord stating I always make my payments on time and have for the last 5 years. Rent started out at $700, is now $950. I have a military pension and SSDI and unless the government goes nuts my income is guaranteed which is more than can be said for many jobs these days.

I also sent the mortgage company my resume from my previous job (per her request) so they could see I'm basically doing the same type of work I always have. The appraisal is scheduled for Tuesday. It's all in the hands of the underwriters now.

BTW what is wrong with Quicken or Rocket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages