Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 4,883 times

Advertisements

I have searched for answers or a similar situation and can't find any. Really needing some advice here. We got a construction loan to build a new home. The land was several lots under the same loan and we could not afford to pay the whole amount off. The bank agreed to section off the lot we wanted to build on and release it from the original land loan via a loan modification agreement. Only as far as we can tell, they never went through with that. That means our house is built on a lot with a double lein. It is still included in the original land loan and it is now included in our construction/mortgage loan.
I am trying to figure out what our options are in the situation. The land only loan is scheduled to be refinanced in December. We have just been through a bankruptcy and are attempting to keep the land and the home. But we need to get this problem cleared up and I don't know how to go about that. I also don't know if there's anyway that we can use their error to force them to refinance the land at a reasonable rate. If anyone can offer advice or tell me where to turn to get the answers I need I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:20 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
It seems that if the bank agreed to section off the lot that you wanted to build on then you should follow up with them to make sure that is done.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Actually I have talked to the bank. The problem is the person who handled our loan was way overworked and overwhelmed and so he quit after we had been approved. I've spoken to the new loan manager and she is aware of the issue but she feels like it is not her problem to solve I guess. We have tried going above their heads and we cannot get anyone to address it. We are considering taking legal action but I don't even know if we would have a standing.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:55 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
this is far too complex for someone to answer here without access to all of the documentation. You need to get a lawyer who can let you know where things stand legally and what your options are.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
Agreed (complexity). Gather ever email you can get your hands on, now. Do not depend on being able to find them down the road. Get both work and home emails.

Did you have title insurance when you did the construction loan? Hopefully, you didn't take a shortcut.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM

I was not aware that title insurance only covered the bank and not me unless I purchased a separate owners policy until I started researching this issue. I have bought and sold 3 homes before this and was never informed that separate title insurance was needed. Won't make that mistake again! Although it's a complicated issue, it's still in the banks best interest to do the right thing or else neither property can be sold in the future the way it stands. What type of lawyer should I seek, a real estate lawyer? Should I go to the lawyer that handled the loan or a different one? I appreciate the feedback.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serns05 View Post
I was not aware that title insurance only covered the bank and not me unless I purchased a separate owners policy until I started researching this issue. I have bought and sold 3 homes before this and was never informed that separate title insurance was needed. Won't make that mistake again! Although it's a complicated issue, it's still in the banks best interest to do the right thing or else neither property can be sold in the future the way it stands. What type of lawyer should I seek, a real estate lawyer? Should I go to the lawyer that handled the loan or a different one? I appreciate the feedback.
I'd start with the lawyer who handled your loan. If they were also given assurances that the lot would be split off they might be in a better position for follow up on that.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,727,361 times
Quote:
Wow. You've had some bad luck realtor-wise! As a very uninformed, naive 25-year old first time home buyer, I remember my realtor sitting down and explaining everything (including title insurance) to me in detail. The realtor who I just used to purchase my second home had it easy since I now work for a title company. We went through my company, so at times, I knew more than he did, lol.

In some states it is standard for the seller to pay for the owner's policy.

Hopefully this will work out and now you will know for the future!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
Quote:
I agree with Jack, call that attorney. What I am finding unusual, is you don't elect to get owners coverage, but it's something the buyer/borrower typically must opt out. Title companies assume you will take it out and most policies are offered at a discount when both are purchased. I can never remember a title company deciding on behalf of the buyer not to offer it. I've seen title companies require the buyer sign a statement acknowledging they understood what they declined.

When you chat with this attorney, subtly inquire if he was representing you (lol, not sure how to do that subtly), not the bank or the builder. Anything is possible. If you find out it's not you he was representing, stop talking and consult a real estate attorney. But something doesn't add up, don't put this off.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Have a call in to the attorney. There was only one lawyer present, does that mean it's likely he was representing the bank? Because it was a construction loan on property we already owned, I didn't think we needed our own lawyer. Boy am I learning a lot! The way title insurance has been explained to me in the past, no one has ever stated that it only covered the lender. I guess I assumed it covered the propert owner and I don't ever recall being asked if I wanted to purchase a separate policy or signing papers to opt out. Maybe this varies by state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages