Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times

Advertisements

This is the biggest frustration. To you and me both.

Can you stop it with the 7-8 bank accounts with a sum total of five grand between them all?

And stop moving money around like you're Warren Buffet.

Get ALL the funds necessary into ONE checking account THREE months before you close, so you are submitting ONE account statement (2 month history) to your Lender with ZERO large deposits.

God God, we're not going to Mars here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
This is the biggest frustration. To you and me both.

Can you stop it with the 7-8 bank accounts with a sum total of five grand between them all?

And stop moving money around like you're Warren Buffet.

Get ALL the funds necessary into ONE checking account THREE months before you close, so you are submitting ONE account statement (2 month history) to your Lender with ZERO large deposits.

God God, we're not going to Mars here.
Feel better now? LOL

Old 10-18-2017, 02:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,505,643 times
But, but, if I keep a minimum balance of $500 in there for 6 months, I'll get a $25 bonus!

#thebankscreatethismess

Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
This is my favorite thread on this forum so far.

I JUST had this conversation with my sister whose financing fell through after failing to disclose a couple of accounts she had "forgotten" about because she had SO DAMN MANY. There were freebies with opening each one and a credit card attached to one. Totally spaced that she had it. It had a $38 balance that was sent to collections after she moved and they couldn't find her.

People just don't know how to position themselves for a mortgage.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Never had a problem with a 1st or re-fi.

We have...and need...about 6 accounts.

Not rocket science.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:24 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Never had a problem with a 1st or re-fi.

We have...and need...about 6 accounts.

Not rocket science.
The issue isn't the number of accounts.
The issue is the lack of preparation and organization that trips up wannabe borrowers.
Combine that with someone who is on the qualifying bubble anyway, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,775 times
I've got two accounts for now. Just moving funds from my spending account into my savings account and plan on using my savings account for the downpayment. Is this ok?

Both are different banks.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I've got two accounts for now. Just moving funds from my spending account into my savings account and plan on using my savings account for the downpayment. Is this ok?

Both are different banks.
Talk to your loan officer
Your loan officer should be your "financial partner" until you get the keys to your new home.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
I get the frustration. My first email to a borrower is what not to do when getting a mortgage I beg the borrowers to please read that email. A few think they are above reading it, or think guidelines do not apply to them. THIS year, actually, within a few months of each other. One was salvaged, the other lost their deposit.

The first came up with a plan to pay off his credit cards. So without calling me, he paid them off and then took out a signsture loan from the Lending Club. Had he reversed the order, he would have been fine. He surrendered his EMD.

The second borrower had a gift for down payment. Part of the EMD was a check, tied to a Citibank credit card. Fortunately, it was only for $3000 (on an 800K sales price was 5% down). We were able to show assets above and beyond the 3K, but not with a whole bunch left over.....made it by the hair on our chinny, chin, chin. Loan closed last week.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Just from a management standpoint, I never understand this. I have three accounts through the same credit union- checking, savings (only keep $500 for a quick emergency), and a high-yielding savings account. I have only one account number for all three. My money is in the high-yielding account. I have it set up so it is not accessible from an ATM and overdraft protection is turned off. I used to have overdraft on until someone got my debit card number and bought a ton of shoes from Zappos (seriously, lol) and I had to wait a couple of weeks to get all of my money back. Lesson learned. No more overdraft! The $500 in the regular savings can be over drafted and accessed by ATM in an emergency. I can transfer from the high-yielding account from my phone, so I should never have any issues. I don't get why people make it more complicated. But I look at CDs and closing conditions all day long, so I know how complicated people make things. And, scarily, I only deal with files that are closing! I can't imagine what y'all see from those denied!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages