Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times

Advertisements

I'm in a 5/1 interest only at 5.50% and in my 2nd year. I currently have my house on the market with little activity and nothing on the horizon as far as buyers.
We fully intend to sell and my concern is we won't be able to for a while due to market conditions so I'm trying to think ahead and get a plan in place in case we have to wait it out for a couple more years. My concern is runing to the end of the 5/1 and facing double digit interest rates and being hosed or waiting even another year and rates take off. What I was thinking was doing a refi into a 30 yr assumable if possible thinking that the single digit rates can't and won't last forever. BTW, we have way over 20% equity in the property and close to or above 800 fico.
Suggestions????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,184 times
Definitely a viable option, and as of right now the rate would be very similar.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
What are your caps on your 5/1ARM?

Refi'g to a conventional 30 yr. would be a good option.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,135,590 times
How far into your 2nd yr. are you?
What is the loan balance?
Where is your home located?

Unless you expect the market to still be bad/horrible in your market in 3-4 years, I would not consider refinancing. Also you cannot refinance a home that is listed or has been listed in the last 90 days (varies among investors).

The only good assumable loan I know of is the FHA and to avoid the mortgage insuarance you would have to do a 15yr. FHA.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
walk away.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
walk away.
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. You seriously want the OP to walk away from their equity? I appreciate that you have an agenda, but your grudge against the banks has you spewing venemous advice that is not only ridiculous in nature, but could be very dangerous were someone simple minded enough to take you seriously. Maybe we should all walk away from our cash as well. It's losing value daily as well, right? Why don't you leave the advice to the professionals.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm in a 5/1 interest only at 5.50% and in my 2nd year. I currently have my house on the market with little activity and nothing on the horizon as far as buyers.
We fully intend to sell and my concern is we won't be able to for a while due to market conditions so I'm trying to think ahead and get a plan in place in case we have to wait it out for a couple more years. My concern is runing to the end of the 5/1 and facing double digit interest rates and being hosed or waiting even another year and rates take off. What I was thinking was doing a refi into a 30 yr assumable if possible thinking that the single digit rates can't and won't last forever. BTW, we have way over 20% equity in the property and close to or above 800 fico.
Suggestions????
What's the loan amount? I'm asking specifically if it's jumbo or conforming. What's your annual cap? If you have a modest rate cap (1%) then you're not totally screwed. If you have an exploding arm (3%) rate adjustment then I'd worry.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 AM

I'm in the first quarter of the second year of a interest only conforming loan. I'm not sure on the rate cap, will have to look when I get home from this trip.
When I refied I fully expected to sell the house within the 5 years for many reasons so I didn't want to pay the rate hit on a 30 yr and waste money.
As for "walking away", even though this doesn't deserve a response, it's not like we can't make the payment, we can. We just want to live elsewhere at this point.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. You seriously want the OP to walk away from their equity? I appreciate that you have an agenda, but your grudge against the banks has you spewing venemous advice that is not only ridiculous in nature, but could be very dangerous were someone simple minded enough to take you seriously. Maybe we should all walk away from our cash as well. It's losing value daily as well, right? Why don't you leave the advice to the professionals.
The OP may have to face the reality that the 20% of "equity" might not exist anymore. Some people overpaid for their homes, so the down payment was lost. If that's true, there's no way to get it back.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The OP may have to face the reality that the 20% of "equity" might not exist anymore. Some people overpaid for their homes, so the down payment was lost. If that's true, there's no way to get it back.
True enough but since we built the house ourselves I know we have more than the 20% at this point. Our area hasn't seen the drops that some have seen, more of a flatening out of the market. I know I could sell it tomorrow for what we owe without a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages