U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:57 AM

8,140 posts, read 19,989,830 times

Advertisements

Lenders do not set the monthly taxes to collect, unless it is new construction and estimated taxes are needed. If it's new construction, the title company or closing agent provides the lender the tax rate and the appraised value or sales price is used (lower of the two) for the tax calculation.

When the home is a resale or a refinance, every lender I have ever worked with relies on the title company or closing attorney to provide tax information for monthly collection. The title package, which includes the real estate tax billing is typically one of the last documents to be received, and usually, that's just before closing, so it's easy to see why a payment could go up at the last minute. Typically, up until that point, the taxes in the appraisal will be used when underwriting the file (unless new construction, then see first paragraph).

If I was told my tax figure was off by $80 a month, I simply would have explained how we got our current figure and when the final tax adjustment to the payment would occur. The loan officer, nor the processor has the ability to change the payment once a file has been underwritten - that falls under the closer. If the adjustment is significant, the UW must sign off on the revised payment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 AM

800 posts, read 416,532 times
The difference is that you seem to be willing to address errors pointed out to you.

Regardless, I offered this as an example of possible predatory lending. Blameshifting will happen, of course... that's how they get away with it; I'm just saying how it can happen. I would not expect the average buyer to know the tax breakdown and exemption status of a home they don't own yet; I would expect at least one of the professionals in the industry to know it, however.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:58 AM

6,859 posts, read 3,169,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
nobody duped you.

What you and everybody else seems to have overlooked is that the taxes on an improved property (after you built the house) were several times more than the taxes on an unimproved lot (no house on it).

You're the one who should have figured that out when you built the house and then refinanced.

All you had to do was check with the property tax agency.

But you didn't do that.

This is all on you.
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages