Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM

503 posts, read 1,455,138 times

Advertisements

Do we qualify for a mortgage?

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out. We would like to go to a lender in April or May and see if we can buy a house. There are houses in our area that are $100,000 - $150,000 that financially we could qualify for.

Our credit scores are in great shape, upper 700's, low 800's. Although I do wonder if it would be better to have only 1 account each hitting our score, or 0?

We would like to get a single family house, primary residence.

We are both first time home buyers.

We do have the money for an FHA 3.5% down payment.

We also have $2,000 we keep in the bank for reserves. No savings. We do have alot available on our credit cards if an emergency arises.

I have run a few different loan calculators with income/debts/etc so I have a rough idea of what we can get approved for.

What I am most concerned about is whether my husband's current time on his new job would be acceptable.

Husband's most recent past jobs:

My husband was a school bus driver for 2 school years. This job was part time. June 2015-August 2017. This is "W-2" income.

My husband also worked part time elsewhere as a freelance handy man for 2 1/2 years. We have declared all of that income on our taxes as self employment for him. But it is not "W-2" income. Jan 2015-August 2017. We have 3 years now of taxes showing this, but he is no longer doing this.

Husband's current job:

My husband quit those other 2 jobs to accept a new full time position. He gets paid hourly. We moved to a new area. He is still a school bus driver, which would of meant only a part time position, but the company also employs him to work in the shop fixing buses/maintenance/etc. He clocks on once in the morning, then switches back and forth between the 2 jobs as needed, clocks out at the end of the day.

My husband is guaranteed full time year round work with this company. When school is in session, he usually winds up getting an extra 1 1/2 - 2 hours overtime per day. I know we would not be able to count the overtime unless there is a 2 year history, which is ok. August 2017 - present. This is "W-2" income.

My question is this: I know lenders will be ok with a new job if it is in the same field. But since he was only part time at the first school bus job, will they let him piggyback the new school bus/mechanic job?

Or will we have to wait until he has been on his new job for 2 years before we can get approved?

Me:

SAHM

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Depends on the lender.

The current job seems more dependable. My guess is that the lender will go with current income and credit score along with the fact that your credit card debt ratio to available limits is rather low.

It doesn't make any sense for strangers on the internet to speculate when all you have to do is go to your bank or credit union for a preliminary evaluation.

A word of caution. You need a lot more in reserve than $2000 just to survive what life throws at you. And NEVER rely on credit cards for emergency funds.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
Do we qualify for a mortgage?

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read and help me out. We would like to go to a lender in April or May and see if we can buy a house. There are houses in our area that are $100,000 - $150,000 that financially we could qualify for.

Our credit scores are in great shape, upper 700's, low 800's. Although I do wonder if it would be better to have only 1 account each hitting our score, or 0?

We would like to get a single family house, primary residence.

We are both first time home buyers.

We do have the money for an FHA 3.5% down payment.

We also have $2,000 we keep in the bank for reserves. No savings. We do have alot available on our credit cards if an emergency arises.

I have run a few different loan calculators with income/debts/etc so I have a rough idea of what we can get approved for.

What I am most concerned about is whether my husband's current time on his new job would be acceptable.

Husband's most recent past jobs:

My husband was a school bus driver for 2 school years. This job was part time. June 2015-August 2017. This is "W-2" income.

My husband also worked part time elsewhere as a freelance handy man for 2 1/2 years. We have declared all of that income on our taxes as self employment for him. But it is not "W-2" income. Jan 2015-August 2017. We have 3 years now of taxes showing this, but he is no longer doing this.

Husband's current job:

My husband quit those other 2 jobs to accept a new full time position. He gets paid hourly. We moved to a new area. He is still a school bus driver, which would of meant only a part time position, but the company also employs him to work in the shop fixing buses/maintenance/etc. He clocks on once in the morning, then switches back and forth between the 2 jobs as needed, clocks out at the end of the day.

My husband is guaranteed full time year round work with this company. When school is in session, he usually winds up getting an extra 1 1/2 - 2 hours overtime per day. I know we would not be able to count the overtime unless there is a 2 year history, which is ok. August 2017 - present. This is "W-2" income.

My question is this: I know lenders will be ok with a new job if it is in the same field. But since he was only part time at the first school bus job, will they let him piggyback the new school bus/mechanic job?

Or will we have to wait until he has been on his new job for 2 years before we can get approved?

Me:

SAHM

Thank you.
If the employer will assert, in writing that he is guaranteed a minimum 40-hour workweek, then that income will be used in full, and paystubs will be used to support it.

The calculation will be: Hourly Rate x 40 x 52 / 12 = Monthly income.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 PM

Thank you for the advice, adjusterjack & Pfhtex

We will go find out in April, just don't want to get my hopes up if they say wait.

Pfhtex

They shouldn't have a problem doing so. We have the recent w-2 for the new job as well as pay stubs

Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
Hi Desertrost34

as already mentioned it really depends on the lender.

I personally do not see an issue with this and depending on other factors would use this income to qualify.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:25 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,925,195 times
Why are you going FHA? There are excellent conventional programs that do not have the lifetime PMI. Make sure your loan officer explores all of your options, including State Bond Programs. If the loan officer doesn't have the product and won't explain why you cannot go conventional, keep moving to the next loan officer. FHA should not be the 1st program of choice for a low down payment loan for the first time buyer.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 AM

Thank you SlarsenCHM.

Thank you SmartMoney. I thought if we don't have 20% to put down, we can't go conventional. I will do my best to explore all our options.

What are State Bond Programs?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,925,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post

Thank you SmartMoney. I thought if we don't have 20% to put down, we can't go conventional. I will do my best to explore all our options.

What are State Bond Programs?
FALSE! You can go conventional with as little as 3% down.

What state are you in? I will see what I can dig up for you, but whoever is feeding you information, stop listening to them. Now.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:17 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,256,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

What state are you in? I will see what I can dig up for you, but whoever is feeding you information, stop listening to them. Now.
Gallatin Valley=~Bozeman, MT, AFAIK

Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,256,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

How do people with few assets/money in the bank/single low income household qualify for 3% down conventional loans? The OP sounds very much in FHA territory to me(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages