Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,217,481 times

Advertisements

My favorite is still the Mortgage Professor site. Great stuff!

https://mtgprofessor.com/CalculatorA...omparison.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:06 PM

155 posts, read 125,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
My favorite is still the Mortgage Professor site. Great stuff!

https://mtgprofessor.com/CalculatorA...omparison.html
Thank you for this Damba... I think I came across this one as well. With this one, it seems like you need to know how long you plan on staying in your home vs using the math provided by 'loanchic' and 'just_because' which will tell you at what point (how many months or years) that one loan makes sense, i.e. cheaper over the other.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 PM

'loanchic' & 'just_because' - thank you for providing the math on this. I created a spread sheet for to enter the numbers based on 'loanchic' math, however, I don't quite understand 'just_because' update. Here are my numbers:

Example, using a $88k loan amount (on 30 year loan):
Lender A rate: 5.25% = $486
Lender B rate: 5.75% = $506
Difference is $20 month in payment

Lender A fee: $3400
Lender B fee: $0
Difference is $3400

$3400/20 = 170
113.33/12 = 14.17

Last edited by gil_happy; 03-05-2018 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Incorrect numbers

Old 03-06-2018, 04:36 AM

381 posts, read 379,844 times
Those fees seem quite excessive for an $88k loan. Are those just lender fees, or do they include third party fees (appraisal, title, tax stamps, etc.)? Do the fees include an origination AND discount point(s)? If it includes discount points, you are buying down your rate.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoanChic View Post
Those fees seem quite excessive for an $88k loan. Are those just lender fees, or do they include third party fees (appraisal, title, tax stamps, etc.)? Do the fees include an origination AND discount point(s)? If it includes discount points, you are buying down your rate.
Let me try to answer this... Both lender A and B have a $600 dollar appraisal fee (since it is an investment loan), so I did not include that since it is a wash. Lender B said they have no lender fees so I have set their value to $0. Lender A indicated the $3400 fee is for title, recorder, tax service, transfer tax, etc. I guess these are not 'lender' fees, so I need to go back to lender B to ask about these items so that I'm calculating apples to apples.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 AM

381 posts, read 379,844 times
You will still have third party fees, which are what they are no matter what lender you choose. The thing to compare between lenders is anything in section A of the loan estimate. If you don't have an official LE and are only being given a worksheet, look for things like origination fee, underwriting fee, processing fee, and discount fee. Those items should be listed in the first section of the worksheet.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoanChic View Post
You will still have third party fees, which are what they are no matter what lender you choose. The thing to compare between lenders is anything in section A of the loan estimate. If you don't have an official LE and are only being given a worksheet, look for things like origination fee, underwriting fee, processing fee, and discount fee. Those items should be listed in the first section of the worksheet.
Thank you.... I haven't asked for a LE since I am just in the early stages, but I'll watch for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages