Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2018, 11:27 PM

159 posts, read 136,681 times

Advertisements

So, I found my little dream home in Albuquerque. My price range is small. My original idea was something that didn’t need immediate major repair, but unfortunately there is a problem with the roof, and the seller won’t budge. The insurance company won’t insure it, so the mortgage company won’t do it. I have found a Kind of nonprofit that would loan me additional to cover fixing the roof. I’m afraid that I will lose the place and that they will not refund my earnest money and loan origination fee, which is like a months salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 AM

23,285 posts, read 18,810,120 times
So you'd end up with two loans to pay on this house (the loan to fix the roof as well as the mortgage once it's fixed?). Are you certain there are no other major repairs the house needs? Can you afford two loan payments every month? If you can't afford to lose the earnest money and loan fees you may not be in a position to buy anything. Doesn't sound like the house is going to be snapped up by anyone else given that a bank won't loan money for it. Wouldn't touch that without a serious inspection contingency. Think I'd pass on it myself, or wait out the seller. They can only afford "not to budge" for so long.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-27-2018 at 01:47 AM..

Old 05-27-2018, 07:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
So, I found my little dream home in Albuquerque. My price range is small. My original idea was something that didn’t need immediate major repair, but unfortunately there is a problem with the roof, and the seller won’t budge. The insurance company won’t insure it, so the mortgage company won’t do it. I have found a Kind of nonprofit that would loan me additional to cover fixing the roof. I’m afraid that I will lose the place and that they will not refund my earnest money and loan origination fee, which is like a months salary.
Your contract should tell you if they can keep the earnest money if the loan goes thru or not, and the origination fee should say if it's refundable or not. What does your real estate agent say?

Next time be more careful. Don't put a non refundable earnest money deposit down and don't pay a loan origination fee beforehand.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 AM

159 posts, read 136,681 times
After carefully re-reading the contract, I see that I am allowed to change mortgage companies, and that if I choose not to buy the house I will receive a full refund.
I can comfortably afford the payments, I just don’t like getting ripped off.
I’ve bought and paid off two houses in the past, and it was a pretty straightforward procedure. I’m just kind of baffled by all of the involved parties miscommunication and how it’s turned into this big hassle.
Is this super common?
If so, it’s the first I’ve ever heard.
So I will either go with the nonprofit, who will combine the repairs into the mortgage, or just walk away.
That would be a shame, really, because it’s a cute little place that ticks all the boxes except ”can’t need immediate major repair.”
Houses in this price range are snapped up in weeks if not days.
The roof repair and a few minor problems were discovered in the inspection. The foundation and systems are quite okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages