Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:20 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post

You are encouraging that “average person” to take on possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars of DEBT in their elderly years?
What happens in coming years when they need a new HVAC? Hot water heater? Roof? New carpet and flooring? Appliances give out? Insurance and property taxes rise each year?
It’s much easier to fund those costs of homeownership WITHOUT a mortgage, true?
They would have the $ for these things because they kept funds liquid instead of putting all of them into paying cash for the house.

Nothing wrong with debt in retirement under the right circumstances. It is all about debt, assets, and the ability to borrow $ at an attractive rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 03:38 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
They would have the $ for these things because they kept funds liquid instead of putting all of them into paying cash for the house.

Nothing wrong with debt in retirement under the right circumstances. It is all about debt, assets, and the ability to borrow $ at an attractive rate.
Exactly right.
I want to enter retirement debt-free, but also recognize that debt is only one aspect of a solid financial plan.
I have seen elderly people whose CPA has told them a mortgage would be wiser than paying cash.

As far as replacing systems, making repairs or updates, the owner may well be much smarter to have leveraged the purchase to keep cash on hand, than to have blown the nest egg on purchase and be cash poor when it is time to do a roof.
It is all about income, assets, rates and terms, and desires.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I cannot imagine taking out a mortgage at age 60, let alone a 30-year loan. You are talking about a debt that would most likely outlive you. That would bring me no peace or security.
I won't have the money to buy with cash.

The ONLY reason I'm even considering buying house or condo is so I'll have a fixed monthly payment when I finally get to the point that I have to live on my Social Security/retirement funds. Renting is no longer viable if you are on a fixed income. Well, there were some cities I found where rents weren't escalating but they aren't cities I want to live in. They failed my basic check list (mainly, no transit system or a really poor one).

Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
PS Thanks for the comments! They're all greatly appreciated!

Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I won't have the money to buy with cash.

The ONLY reason I'm even considering buying house or condo is so I'll have a fixed monthly payment when I finally get to the point that I have to live on my Social Security/retirement funds. Renting is no longer viable if you are on a fixed income. Well, there were some cities I found where rents weren't escalating but they aren't cities I want to live in. They failed my basic check list (mainly, no transit system or a really poor one).
That fixed monthly payment is a contributing factor in the decision to buy at any age.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages