Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times

Advertisements

What many posters are failing to realize in their compartive analysis, is that the OP is not on an "A" paper loan. Just because some of you pay $100/mo or $200/mo in PMI does not mean that is the rate that the OP pays.

Using a blanket statement like

Quote:
For loans secured with less than 20% down, PMI is estimated at 0.5% of your loan balance each year
is simply not true. There are many variables involved including loan type, approval type, loan to value, credit score.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKukujunior View Post
So,

Does anyone know the answer to question: What would happen if I stop paying PMI and just pay the other portion of mortgage? Any legal advice?
As far as I know the lender will apply the payment amount to the interest/principle first and then cover the rest. How does it work with PMI?

Mine is $205 and I am trying to cancel it with CountryWide with no success.

Thank you.
I don't know for sure, but I am thinking you would be in default and they could foreclose.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
I think TimtheGuy is right. However, how close is the OP to having 20% equity in the house? They will not automatically drop the PMI, you have to request it be dropped when you reach the "magic number." In her case, if the original loan amount was $143k, then when the principle hits $114,400, they can request that the PMI be dropped.

DO NOT just stop paying the PMI, or they will forclose.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you!

~D

Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
To stop paying the PMI you have to prove that your house has either increased in value; or you have paid down the debt. We have WM; showed them the value of our home by two independent realtors; and they would not accept it. We have to actually PAY their person $500 to come and evaluate our home to get rid of the PMI. Crazy.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 47,127 times
Default Stop paying PMI

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

One more:
I called CountryWide and they told me that there is one more option to cancel PMI - no late payments for the last 24 months. Is it true?

Thank you.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:

One more:
I called CountryWide and they told me that there is one more option to cancel PMI - no late payments for the last 24 months. Is it true?

Thank you.
Definitely not.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:

One more:

Thank you.
No matter what you do or anyone in the same position does , you need to first file a U.C.C.-1 ( Uniform Commercial Code) on your property with the Secretary of the state that you are in , in the amout of your down payment + your payments that you have payed over the years. This is your lein ( value given)on that Real Estate.You are now first in line for payment should you be put into forecloser. Now the MTG. or the Bank can take the home back "BUT" first they need to pay the first lein. Thats YOU!!!
These facts I got from a title insurance Co. For those of you that say you never heard about this! I wonder why??

Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 AM

612 posts, read 2,777,796 times
Good luck getting anywhere with Countrywide. They bought a loan I had years ago and started charging pmi even though I was never supposed to pay it. My husband was paying the bills and thought the escrow went up over taxes and insurance (we were in Florida) and paid it for months. When I took over the bills I found it, notified them of the error and faxed over the closing docs, and stopped paying it. It took 3-4 calls a week for nine months before they removed it and issued me back $3100 that we had paid. They also reported nine months of late payments on my credit when I removed it from my payment but still paid the rest of the payment and escrow. They have never removed it from my credit even though I have all the documentation that it was never owed.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,157 times
Is there a set % for PMI on Loans. Example above is 0.5%, is that standard or can it fluctuate by lender?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM

768 posts, read 4,340,801 times
It's pretty standard with most PMI companies. You can mess around with different scenarios at MGIC Rate Finder: Calculate Quotes to determine the mortgage insurance rate. PMI rates vary by FICO score, LTV, transaction type, property type, loan amount, state (sometimes), program (ARM vs. fixed, interest only, etc.), loan term, and occupancy type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages