Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,072 times

Advertisements

My house note comes out of my banking account automatically every month on a specific date. In July 2018, I checked that days transactions as I do every morning and noticed that the note was paid and the funds had been deducted from my account. The next day the funds were back in my account and the transaction was no longer even showing on my ledger. My mortgage company has confirmed that the transaction was successful and they have been paid. I have contacted my bank several times about it only to be told they don't make mistakes like that and what I am saying isn't even possible. So here I am, still seeing this money lay in my account and getting tired of arguing with them about and having them talk to me like I am stupid. I live on a fixed income. I WOULD KNOW if I had that much extra money show up in my account. Just wondering what I should do or if anyone had any similar experiences. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan4life View Post
My house note comes out of my banking account automatically every month on a specific date. In July 2018, I checked that days transactions as I do every morning and noticed that the note was paid and the funds had been deducted from my account. The next day the funds were back in my account and the transaction was no longer even showing on my ledger. My mortgage company has confirmed that the transaction was successful and they have been paid. I have contacted my bank several times about it only to be told they don't make mistakes like that and what I am saying isn't even possible. So here I am, still seeing this money lay in my account and getting tired of arguing with them about and having them talk to me like I am stupid. I live on a fixed income. I WOULD KNOW if I had that much extra money show up in my account. Just wondering what I should do or if anyone had any similar experiences. thanks
If you get benefits where you are required to keep a low amount in your checking accounts I would withdraw that amount and keep it somewhere safe, otherwise I would not mention anything else about it and keep it with the thought that if they do an audit and find the money missing that you may have to pay it back. For now I would do nothing else but keep documentation that it was paid and posted to your mortgage account.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Haven't you ever played Monopoly?

Bank error in your favor. Collect $200

Of course banks make errors. They will eventually figure it out and want the money back, so don't spend it all in one place.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 PM

17 posts, read 15,281 times
Does a cat have a climbing gear?

I have seen the same issue where payee got the money but it wasn't deducted from the bank account. No one ever came back for the money.

However, they may want the money back so I wouldn't spend it yet. ☺

Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Wells Fargo has paid $14B in fines since 2000....for errors and fraud...so yeah, they do make errors, lots of them....both financial and moral.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Wells Fargo has been known to mess up every now and then. Has happened to us as well as others we know in the past. I have no accounts through them currently, now will I in the future. IMO they are horrible.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Just wondering what I should do or if anyone had any similar experiences. thanks
This is why autopay is so dangerous.

You, at least, were wise enough to check your account frequently.

Don't spend the money. Your mortgage company will figure out soon enough that there was a glitch and will demand payment.

Not only do banks make mistakes but mortgage companies are even worse.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
I would send a certified letter to them explaining the situation and requesting a written explanation. Once you have their response in writing, move on and keep the money if they claim no adjustment is needed.

Also, do the same for the mortgage company.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
This is why autopay is so dangerous.

You, at least, were wise enough to check your account frequently.

Don't spend the money. Your mortgage company will figure out soon enough that there was a glitch and will demand payment.

Not only do banks make mistakes but mortgage companies are even worse.
OP stated the mortgage company claims payment was received.

I had a similar episode recently. I deposited a check for a significant amount from DH's business. The deposit showed up online but was immediately taken back out. It never left the business account. There was no explanation for why whoever processed the deposit did that. It took two days to get the deposit corrected. One phone call did it.

OP, I would suggest physically going to a branch for your bank and talking to a manager. Take proof from the mortgage company that that payment was received.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Yes, banks make errors, so you have to keep track yourself and monitor. In a previous position, I reconciled hundreds of accounts to bank statements every month and often found bank errors.

These errors included posting incorrect amounts, posting debits or credits to the wrong account, not posting something that should have been or double posting one item. There even was a case of fraud, but not sure if that was the bank's fault or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages