U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,081,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

Government shutdowns are not exactly rare. If your agent doesn't already know how this might affect a title search, she should be proactive in finding out. Not just for you but for her other buyers and sellers as well especially because we live in an area where the shutdown affects many of us in ways it doesn't affect others. If she's a full service agent (not getting a reduced commission), she should be the one making the calls..

I totally agree, especially since resolving this shutdown will only mean another one will happen in a few months. And another after that. Might as well get used to them, since it's apparently now the way things are done
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 AM

4,963 posts, read 12,563,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Please DO NOT turn this into a political thread. I simply want suggestions from mortgage professionals regarding things I might do now to avoid a possible challenge this shutdown might create for selling my house.

The house is listing this week. Our realtor thinks it's smart to go ahead with the listing, but she also thinks there might be a problem with getting the title cleared for the closing. She did not have a suggestion for what we could do, which is why I'm asking here. The IRS needs to verify that there are no tax liens, and they're working with just a skeleton staff right now. I'm not sure how much this might back things up, any thoughts on that?

In the meantime, is there anything we could do proactively? Is it possible to contact the IRS now to get that information in case a buyer won't be able to get it down the line? The title otherwise should have no problems. The property was owned by the same person for more than 40 years. The property lines have always been well known and not violated by the neighbors. The house is in Sterling, VA.

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I'm not that well informed about titles and such. I just want to do what I can to sell the house and have the closing go smoothly, even with a shutdown happening.
To my knowledge, title companies don't verify tax liens directly with the IRS. I believe they only check with the subject county to see if any tax liens have been recorded.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM

5,824 posts, read 6,259,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I wish we could do that, but unfortunately we need to get it sold asap. At least the mortgage rates are going down at the moment, which will help (I hope).
Take heart!

My co-worker listed her home (in Alexandria) on Friday. Fifty people attended the open house on Sunday. She had 15+ showings between Friday and Monday afternoon. Set a deadline of 4pm on Monday for offers to be submitted. They accepted one of multiple offers and they are scheduled to close before the end of the month.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 AM

199 posts, read 96,314 times
Don't worry. The title company is not going to call the IRS to research possible tax liens there. Their lien search is limited to public records. As a seller, you won't be affected by the shutdown.

The buyer could be affected, though. If you have a buyer whose pay is suspended due to the shutdown, their lender won't be able to get an employment verification. For most conventional loans, lenders are currently suspending the requirement for tax transcripts, knowing they can't be obtained by third parties (they can be requested and obtained by individual taxpayers via the IRS website, as it's an automated process). For buyers seeking a USDA Rural Development loan, I'm guessing that's not going to be able to close until after the shutdown.

But anyway, you won't have any title issues during the process of selling your home.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM

15 posts, read 10,226 times
Normally, the IRS involvement is with the verification of income/tax return details of the buyer for the mortgage approval.

Do you have any reason to think there is a tax lien on your property? You should know. The title company will search the public records. They have no need to consult the IRS unless there is a notice of a tax lien filed in the public records.

I would want to list the house and get someone on the hook to buy now. Either the shutdown ends and the problem is solved or you steer them to a knowledgeable lender who can work around the inability to get the IRS tax transcripts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or