Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 PM

29 posts, read 27,076 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I have a question about a guarantee when the refi is kept or sold... Before you say "guarantee" is hilarious, I figured I would ask...

Bank A has stellar great reviews all over the place form Zillow, Yelp, Glassdoor etc... Well, reviews are just that, and a certain amount are fake no matter what.

The problem is, they say they keep their VA loans, but when I asked the loan officer to type "Bank A will keep Customer A's loan in house", she wouldn't do that. I wanted that guarantee.

Now, the problem with getting sold is who they sell to... Wells, Citi, and CENLAR that I know of... Good luck finding any good reviews about those three.

So, because Bank A doesn't need me, and I don't need Bank A because they are all the same, how do I get it in writing that they either keep the loan or they don't sell to horrible banks like I mentioned?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 04:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC22 View Post

So, because Bank A doesn't need me, and I don't need Bank A because they are all the same, how do I get it in writing that they either keep the loan or they don't sell to horrible banks like I mentioned?
You don't get it in writing. No bank is going to do it.

And yes, you do need Bank A, or any other bank for that matter, otherwise you would pay cash for the house and wouldn't need to borrow money.

It's the golden rule. The bank with the gold makes the rules.

By the way, I've read that credit unions tend to keep their loans in house. But I can't guarantee that and I don't imagine they will either.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:39 PM

199 posts, read 158,636 times
It's not hilarious, but you won't get a guarantee in writing. Sometimes credit unions do their own servicing, but not always. Even if on your loan estimate they've marked that they will service your loan and you'll make your payments to them, that doesn't mean they won't sell it down the road.

Sorry that isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the way of mortgages.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Agreed.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You don't get it in writing. No bank is going to do it.

And yes, you do need Bank A, or any other bank for that matter, otherwise you would pay cash for the house and wouldn't need to borrow money.

It's the golden rule. The bank with the gold makes the rules.

By the way, I've read that credit unions tend to keep their loans in house. But I can't guarantee that and I don't imagine they will either.
Thanks, that sucks because I would like to pay the local joint, not the banks I mentioned.

I should have clarified... I don't need Bank A, I need financing from someone, be it Bank A though Z or from Frankie Two Times that sells me slacks from his trunk.

I tried with a CU with the original loan, but they wanted 1% more than the local bank before any points or anything, so I didn't go back.

Now, besides a handful of banks, I have only checked out Navy Federal CU for the Refi, and they only seem interested if I'm buying points. When I said I wanted 4%, no points, no origination, (Their chart) they stopped talking. I get why they want to sell points, and if I was going to be here for 30 years, I would buy as many as possible, but I'm going to build a shop and play in it for a few years max and split.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwrangler View Post
It's not hilarious, but you won't get a guarantee in writing. Sometimes credit unions do their own servicing, but not always. Even if on your loan estimate they've marked that they will service your loan and you'll make your payments to them, that doesn't mean they won't sell it down the road.

Sorry that isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the way of mortgages.

Ok, Thanks.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Now, besides a handful of banks, I have only checked out Navy Federal CU for the Refi, and they only seem interested if I'm buying points. When I said I wanted 4%, no points, no origination, (Their chart) they stopped talking. I get why they want to sell points, and if I was going to be here for 30 years, I would buy as many as possible, but I'm going to build a shop and play in it for a few years max and split.
That's because there is no 4% loan with no points and origination. Your originator would be losing money. If you're only going to hold this loan for a few years, have you considered an ARM?

Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwrangler View Post
That's because there is no 4% loan with no points and origination. Your originator would be losing money. If you're only going to hold this loan for a few years, have you considered an ARM?
No ARM, I wouldn't sleep well.

Navy Federal is 1% Origination for 3.375%, 3.5, 3.625, and 3.75. on a 30 year VA fixed.

No Origination at 4%, then it goes into Negative Origination from there.

If they lose money at 4% no origination, then why do the Banks do business with Costco? None of them have origination fees.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
No ARM, I wouldn't sleep well.

Navy Federal is 1% Origination for 3.375%, 3.5, 3.625, and 3.75. on a 30 year VA fixed.

No Origination at 4%, then it goes into Negative Origination from there.

If they lose money at 4% no origination, then why do the Banks do business with Costco? None of them have origination fees.
Ohhhh, right, VA. Sorry about that. Yes, VA rates are lower than conventional.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Hey all, I have a question about a guarantee when the refi is kept or sold... Before you say "guarantee" is hilarious, I figured I would ask...

Bank A has stellar great reviews all over the place form Zillow, Yelp, Glassdoor etc... Well, reviews are just that, and a certain amount are fake no matter what.

The problem is, they say they keep their VA loans, but when I asked the loan officer to type "Bank A will keep Customer A's loan in house", she wouldn't do that. I wanted that guarantee.

Now, the problem with getting sold is who they sell to... Wells, Citi, and CENLAR that I know of... Good luck finding any good reviews about those three.

Thanks for any help.

Why? It doesn’t matter. My old mortgage was bought three times. Wells, B Of A and now Chase. My payment never changed

My current mortgage is with a credit union. I just make my payment to them. I don’t give a cr who holds the loan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages