Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Yeah I heard 50K was the lowest. So maybe get a place for 70K and put 20k down would be smarter? I want her payments to be $300 MAX, am assuming that puts her in the 50-60K mortgage range.

Hoping some mortgage folks chime in here. Have a call in to a realtor I adore, bought my condo from him (he was listing agent), to ask these qs too.
$300 sounds low unless property taxes and insurance are really cheap where you are. The mortgage alone minus insurance and taxes will be around $240 on a $50K loan.

But if it's less than rent she should do it, in fact she can get a roommate to pay $400 a month for the spare bedroom and her home will pay for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 PM

478 posts, read 417,599 times
Quote:
Ack. What I thought. Expound, would you?

I don't want to tie up 50K, is why. I don't mind giving up to 20k (would be a gift, not a loan).
Well, the best way to look at the additional $50K is an investment that would return 4-5%, assuming you charged her a market interest rate - it would also be asset-backed.

The other way would be to just do a home equity loan based on your own property, cosign for her and have her pay the equity note.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
$300 sounds low unless property taxes and insurance are really cheap where you are. The mortgage alone minus insurance and taxes will be around $240 on a $50K loan.
They are indeed cheap here. Her BF (aged 21, no family help, so proud of him) just bought his first house, 115K. Taxes per annum, $588. My condo I sold last June, $178.
#shoutout2IND

Old 03-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Well, the best way to look at the additional $50K is an investment that would return 4-5%, assuming you charged her a market interest rate - it would also be asset-backed.

The other way would be to just do a home equity loan based on your own property, cosign for her and have her pay the equity note.
I get what you're saying but nah. I want this as uncomplicated as possible. I'm happy to give her (max) 20K towards it outright but beyond that, nope.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:25 PM

478 posts, read 417,599 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying but nah. I want this as uncomplicated as possible. I'm happy to give her (max) 20K towards it outright but beyond that, nope.
Totally understandable - she might end up paying an extra half point or so, but that’s not a huge thing on a small loan.

My only other thought would be that buying a house at this stage in her life is just going to limit future job opportunities - while IN is indeed low tax, it also has a shaky (at best) job market. When she does graduate, it may entail moving to find her ideal job. Being tied to a house will limit those options.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Totally understandable - she might end up paying an extra half point or so, but that’s not a huge thing on a small loan.

My only other thought would be that buying a house at this stage in her life is just going to limit future job opportunities - while IN is indeed low tax, it also has a shaky (at best) job market. When she does graduate, it may entail moving to find her ideal job. Being tied to a house will limit those options.
Thought of that; she'll rent it out if that happens. I'll be here to manage it. These wee houses rent for around $600 here so that'll be a nice ROI for her. Or just sell it at that point.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Quote:
The situation:

my daughter aged 19.5 yr, full time student at Purdue, woks part time (same job since Nov 2017 That's not two years - you may have trouble using her income at all as part-time jobs require a 2 year history. However, her age may come into play and an Underwriter could simply average her monthly income since she started working. If she worked P/T prior to the existing job, that could help.) income around 20k/yr, around 10K in her bank account, perfect banking history X3yr w/same bank (no overdrafts), has own (not secured, regular) credit card since age 18, credit score 750-ish, no debt (I gave her a car, it is paid for). Lives in own apt (no roommates, no lease) since May 2018, rent $429./mo.

I would like to help her buy a small house, with a mortgage payment not to exceed $300/mo. Can't be done.
I can provide her 20% down.
I can co sign mortgage, my credit score stays between 800-850 but I am retired, and have no income (will start to collect SS in 4 years) but significant liquid assets. You could use your Assets, without spending them. It's called Declining Assets income, wherein your liquid assets are calculated as a function of income. There's a spreadsheet and everything.

Would we be able to get her a mortgage on a house around 65-75k? Base payment before adding taxes and insurance is about $400.

I haven't had a mortgage in years, bought my last places with cash, and am unfamiliar with obtaining financing for such a low income/low amount situation.

Thanks in advance
Extrapolating: a $75k mortgage is about a $100k property. You will need to at least factor in property taxes and homeowners insurance. Your monthly payment goal of $300 cannot be met. In fact the monthly payment would be closer to $600 or so.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Extrapolating: a $75k mortgage is about a $100k property. You will need to at least factor in property taxes and homeowners insurance. Your monthly payment goal of $300 cannot be met. In fact the monthly payment would be closer to $600 or so.
I doubt your figures.

My mortgage of 100K IIRC, 3.75% (maybe slightly less, this was years ago but def over 3% and under 4%) rate was around $550, PITI. Taxes were $1500-ish, ins policy $350-ish per annum.

I sold an investment house (paid 35K) in 2016 for 69K. I recall the buyer (I sold it by owner so had direct dealings with her) telling me her mortgage payments (she put very little down as I recall) would be under $300.

I stated I am thinking of a mortgage amt for her around 60K, not 75K. I am thinking 80K max purchase price, in which case I'd put 20K down. Taxes here are ridiculously cheap; as an example, her BF just bought hs first house, 115K, his yearly tax is $558.

She DOES have over two years part time work exp total, thanks for that heads up. She's been working part time, uninterruptedly since June 2016.

#proud

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 03-18-2019 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 03:34 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Quote:
I doubt your figures.

My mortgage of 100K IIRC, 3.75% (maybe slightly less, this was years ago but def over 3% and under 4%) rate was around $550, PITI. Taxes were $1500-ish, ins policy $350-ish per annum. yes, and rates are higher now

I sold an investment house (paid 35K) in 2016 for 69K. I recall the buyer (I sold it by owner so had direct dealings with her) telling me her mortgage payments (she put very little down as I recall) would be under $300. OK we don't know the size of that mortgage tho

I stated I am thinking of a mortgage amt for her around 60K, not 75K. I am thinking 80K max purchase price, in which case I'd put 20K down. Taxes here are ridiculously cheap; as an example, her BF just bought hs first house, 115K, his yearly tax is $558.

She DOES have over two years part time work exp total, thanks for that heads up. She's been working part time, uninterruptedly since June 2016. that is great

#proud
Not trying to argue...

Old 03-18-2019, 04:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
I doubt your figures.

My mortgage of 100K IIRC, 3.75% (maybe slightly less, this was years ago but def over 3% and under 4%) rate was around $550, PITI. Taxes were $1500-ish, ins policy $350-ish per annum.

I sold an investment house (paid 35K) in 2016 for 69K. I recall the buyer (I sold it by owner so had direct dealings with her) telling me her mortgage payments (she put very little down as I recall) would be under $300.

She DOES have over two years part time work exp total, thanks for that heads up. She's been working part time, uninterruptedly since June 2016.

#proud
The only way someone buys a $69K home and puts little down and pays under $300 is if they somehow pay the insurance and taxes separately, or if the taxes as $300 a year and insurance is $300 a year.

The only other way I can think of is if they got a USDA direct loan and are under the lowest federal poverty level and were able to pay only 1% interest. The only other way I can think of is if they got that program where Section 8 helps pay for your home and you only have to pay 33% cost and she gets $900 a month.

So I'm not saying you are lying, but she may have given you a wrong number that was so low that I would ask them to prove it with their mortgage statement.

A $69K mortgage even at 3.5% interest is $310 a month, without interest or taxes added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages