Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 04:43 PM

30 posts, read 49,893 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my current home and buying a new home. My offer on the new home was not contingent on the sale of my current home.

I may be able to sell my current home before I close on the new home, in which case the proceeds from the sale will be enough to fund the purchase. However, I plan to apply for a mortgage loan in case my current home does not sell in time for closing on the new home.

This raises the possibility that I may apply for a mortgage loan and then find that I don't need it. My assumption is that at the point where I actually sign the loan application, if the loan is approved, then I am committed to paying at least the loan origination fee since the lender expended the resources to process the loan. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 04:48 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,440,352 times
I don't think so. Not just for an application.

I would ask them that directly, though. I asked a million and one questions when I did an assumption loan before proceeding. And the same bank will have to answer a million and one more before I do what you are doing or get a HELOC!

(And maybe a HELOC would work for your purposes? Something to consider)

Old 03-30-2019, 07:57 PM

8,653 posts, read 22,813,327 times
Most lenders will not lend on a home on the market.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:27 AM

381 posts, read 378,663 times
You won't be charged any lender fees unless you close. However, you may be charged for title work and the appraisal and any home inspections which all occur during the loan process, before closing. You may want to consider carrying a small mortgage and keeping some of your real estate sales proceeds in your investment account.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:55 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,440,352 times
People get pre-approved all the time. I would get pre-approved for the highest amount you might need and then use a portion or none of it depending on how things shake out. This is very very common in home buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages