Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sometimes you can finance with a local bank directly. It’s called a bank note. They keep the loan in house but it works like an adjustable rate mortgage usually. If you want you can eventually get a conventional mortgage and pay it off in full.
I fear if the OP walked into a bank, asking for a bank note, they would not understand what you were seeking.

What you want to do is find a lender that offers portfolio lending on mortgage loans. This would be considered a conventionsl loan. (A conventional loan is any loan that is not insured by the government, like FHA, VA or USDA). Portfolio lendering does not mean no rules or guidelines. It simply means the lender does not sell any interest in the loan to any third parties. Large banks and most credit unions are portfolio lenders. The banks, though, have rigid criteria.

In any event, a 2nd independent appraisal is definitely called for, for your peace of mind, and the lender's. Additional more down is not the answer on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 7,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
In any event, a 2nd independent appraisal is definitely called for, for your peace of mind, and the lender's. Additional more down is not the answer on this one.
Thank you for your reply.

The house I am interested in purchasing would be a vacation home and I want to make sure I am not buying something that will be too problematic to sell a few years down the road if life ends up swinging that way. So if I was denied a conventional fixed rate loan from a local bank I would definitely see that as a sign to walk away.

Now that the appraisal is done, would it be appropriate to contact the appraiser from the big bank loan that was denied to see if she has any insight?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Your problem. You have a home, the bank which is out of the area, finds not meet their knowledge of that type of construction. This is why a lot of people like yourself, find it impossible to finance a home with an out of area bank.

The local banks understand the local market, and have no problem getting such a home financed.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforever View Post
Thank you for your reply.

The house I am interested in purchasing would be a vacation home and I want to make sure I am not buying something that will be too problematic to sell a few years down the road if life ends up swinging that way. So if I was denied a conventional fixed rate loan from a local bank I would definitely see that as a sign to walk away.

Now that the appraisal is done, would it be appropriate to contact the appraiser from the big bank loan that was denied to see if she has any insight?

The appraiser cannot discuss the appraisal or the results with you.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Perhaps, making it your primary residence on paper) would help. I thought USDA was the way to go for rural properties. Oh, and what is the land worth? Banks don't want to loan on a big piece of land with a modest house.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Perhaps, making it your primary residence on paper) would help. I thought USDA was the way to go for rural properties. Oh, and what is the land worth? Banks don't want to loan on a big piece of land with a modest house.
Calling it a primary residence won't help--unless you think that mortgage fraud is really the way to go.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I thought USDA was the way to go for rural properties.

USDA loans are very limited.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM

8 posts, read 7,740 times
I spoke so far with one of the four local banks. They have no application fee, I would only pay for the second appraisal. Given that I've already paid for inspections and so on out of pocket this would be a good next step. And the second appraisal will provide the peace of mind about value that I need

Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
So long as it's not the same appraiser.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:42 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforever View Post
First time home buyer. I applied for a mortgage at one of the big banks with whom I have done banking with for 15+ years. I'm in a good position financially, excellent credit, no debt and able to put down a substantial down payment on a secondary home (I live in a big city and rent my primary residence.) The purchase price is $250,000 and I asked the bank for a $100,000 mortgage. The house was appraised at came back at $250,000 - the appraisal seemed thorough and the appraiser was familiar with the area. Given that it's a rural area with not a huge amount of sales the comps seemed well chosen.

To get to the point, the bank denied the loan in underwriting. At first they asked if I could provide a list of 3 more comps but then called back the next day to deny the loan. Their explanation was vague, just that the property was 'too unique' to lend on. I'm really caught off guard given that the LTV ratio is low. The house is a very solidly built post & beam (i.e. pole barn) built by reputable builders in the area (they have been in business since about the time the house was built in the mid 80's).

I know I can (and maybe should) approach a local bank to re-apply but my confidence in the property value is a bit rattled. And if it is this difficult for me to get a loan even when offering to put a substantial amount of money down with a good financial rating then that would seem to put me in a difficult position if I need to resell the property down the line.

Any advice on next steps to regain confidence about the whole project?
To me it seems crazy that a bank would not lend you $100K on a property that was appraised at $250K. They would have to think the appraisal was off more than $150K for this to happen and that the appraiser who is independent would be willing to risk their reputation over something so absurd. Did you ask the bank that in plain english, is it possible they think you need $250K? My advice it to keep moving forward and if that bank does not want your business, find another and then when you close take all your accounts from that bank and warn others with a bad review for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages