Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 04:43 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Proposals were put forward today to end Federal control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac which could make major changes in the nation's housing market. Washington Post story is here. The Forbes Magazine story is here. CNBC story is here. The L.A.Times story is here.

Fannie and Freddie buy mortgages from lenders and package them into bundles of securities for investors to buy. These two companies back half of the mortgages in the USA and were taken over by the government in 2008 as the housing market collapsed into the Great Recession. Fannie and Freddie got $119.8B and $71.6B in taxpayer bailouts respectively and as things improved since 2008 they've sent $300B in dividends to the U.S.Treasury. We got our bailout money back, with interest.

Some people feel the new plan may make mortgages cost more and harder to get. Ouch.

In unraveling the Great Recession millions of foreclosed homes sold to clear the books and tons of these homes were bought up by large Real Estate Investment Trusts and wealthy individuals to put into rental markets. With the tax cuts of 2017 even more money went into the hands of people buying up homes to rent out to others and I think this is part of what's driving up housing prices in most of the desirable locations around the country.

IMO, if mortgages are harder to get then some potential homebuyers will have to rent for longer; maybe much longer.

I'm not sure how all this will work out but I suspect homeownership may be harder to achieve for a lot more people.

What are your thoughts on this?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-05-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 05:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,269 times
Boy. That swamp sure did get drained...

Old 09-05-2019, 08:23 PM

289 posts, read 224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Boy. That swamp sure did get drained...
We hire only the best ...

Old 09-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Proposals were put forward today to end Federal control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac which could make major changes in the nation's housing market. Washington Post story is here. The Forbes Magazine story is here. CNBC story is here. The L.A.Times story is here.

Fannie and Freddie buy mortgages from lenders and package them into bundles of securities for investors to buy. These two companies back half of the mortgages in the USA and were taken over by the government in 2008 as the housing market collapsed into the Great Recession. Fannie and Freddie got $119.8B and $71.6B in taxpayer bailouts respectively and as things improved since 2008 they've sent $300B in dividends to the U.S.Treasury. We got our bailout money back, with interest.

Some people feel the new plan may make mortgages cost more and harder to get. Ouch.

In unraveling the Great Recession millions of foreclosed homes sold to clear the books and tons of these homes were bought up by large Real Estate Investment Trusts and wealthy individuals to put into rental markets. With the tax cuts of 2017 even more money went into the hands of people buying up homes to rent out to others and I think this is part of what's driving up housing prices in most of the desirable locations around the country.

IMO, if mortgages are harder to get then some potential homebuyers will have to rent for longer; maybe much longer.

I'm not sure how all this will work out but I suspect homeownership may be harder to achieve for a lot more people.

What are your thoughts on this?
I think it will make home ownership much harder. As a landlord, that works for me. More tenants to chose from and what I call “perma-renters” - those that want to buy but just can’t quite get there - they make the best tenants.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Any removal of the government from anything is a good thing.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:23 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Without getting political, the current Administration's fetish for deregulation would, in this case, result in a broadening of guidelines and a significant injection of risk into the mortgage space. (IMO)

Having worked at Ground Zero, as far as the Mortgage Meltdown went, I saw thousands of files rubber-stamped with approvals before appraisals even came in, in an effort to make Quarterly numbers. This, while we tracked our CEO simultaneously dumping his stock as fast as he legally could.

I'm not certain that it would be "back to the Old West" crazy, but the removal of oversight could place us back in position for a spike-and-plummet scenario all over again. We've already neutered the CFPB, and I could see the dissolution of that entity come to pass as well.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That kind of blanket “government is the problem” mentality isn’t helpful.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
That kind of blanket “government is the problem” mentality isn’t helpful.
Not only is it not helpful, it is downright foolish. We need to remember that regulations and laws were enacted in an attempt to correct abuses and unethical behavior of some towards others. I'm the first to admit that regulations sometimes have gone too far, but the wholesale abandonment of protections, merely because anti-government sentiment might be popular, can only set us back as a society. Regrettably, government is sometimes needed to protect us from the predators among us. The alternative is anarchy.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Jack, thanks. What impacts if any do you foresee from the proposed changes?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:54 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Shows a complete lack of understanding... you might want to do some light reading before you speak in absolutes on subjects you are clearly not grasping.

Regulatory... compliance... stewardship. Think Gordon Gekko.

So, although "removal of the government" makes sense in many cases this is definitely not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages