Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:34 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I haven't had a mortgage in ages and am now helping my daughter buy her first house, and in reviewing her mortgage app with the estimated closing costs, regarding the q below, I have no good answer to give my daughter:

We're in IN, where RE tax is paid for the previous year, in arrears.

Her total cost to close doesn't show credit from seller for taxes for 2019-closing in Feb 2020
(when I bought here it was with cash so I didn't have this kind of doc -mortgage app- to review, and I received credit from seller for the prior year's taxes through closing date, I bought in Feb 2016 so got 14 mos credited). Nor does it reflect the earnest deposit.

I realize the loan app contains many estimated costs and is not final figures like a settlement statement but why not show known expected credit?

Ditto for the $1000 earnest money, it's not shown as a credit either.

Any reason for this? I know the settlement statement shall have true figures but my daughter is worried by this and I really had no explanation for her as to why these particular figures would not be included as they are known facts. I told her the settlement statement will be accurate and shall reflect all credits but can see her point, why would this doc differ on these two not-estimated figures.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 06:32 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Since they forgot to put down my $5000 earnest money - my suggestion is to ASK about anything you think should be on the estimate of closing costs. It happens and just goes to show that she is paying attention and reading the document.

As soon as I pointed out the missing earnest money on the document they made the correction and sent me an updated estimate of closing costs.

PS: I was paying cash and not taking out a mortgage - but, I still got and estimate of closing costs a week before closing which showed the closing costs for the buyer and seller. Is it possible what she received is just an estimate from her mortgage company and not an estimate of closing costs that shows both the costs for the buyer and seller and who pays for various items on the list?

Last edited by Mary2014; 01-15-2020 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 06:36 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Agree with Mary2014. Your daughter should be talking to the escrow officer about the earnest money and how the taxes work. The answers are NOT on the internet.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Agree with Mary2014. Your daughter should be talking to the escrow officer about the earnest money and how the taxes work. The answers are NOT on the internet.
We fully understand how taxes work. She wonders why the mortgage app doesn't reflect what the settlement statement shall, as to these two credits as they're known figures. Why not include on the app in the costs is all.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

PS: I was paying cash and not taking out a mortgage - but, I still got and estimate of closing costs a week before closing which showed the closing costs for the buyer and seller. Is it possible what she received is just an estimate from her mortgage company and not an estimate of closing costs that shows both the costs for the buyer and seller and who pays for various items on the list?
Yeah, as you paid cash like I did what we saw and you're referencing is the settlement statement.

The docs I'm asking about are indeed the mortgage app with disclosures of estimated closing costs, yes.

But the two figures I'm not seeing are known and not estimated so why not include? They'll be on the settlement statement so why not show them on this doc? That's what she's asking me and i must agree, why not show them? Seems odd?

Old 01-15-2020, 08:53 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Yeah, as you paid cash like I did what we saw and you're referencing is the settlement statement.

The docs I'm asking about are indeed the mortgage app with disclosures of estimated closing costs, yes.

But the two figures I'm not seeing are known and not estimated so why not include? They'll be on the settlement statement so why not show them on this doc? That's what she's asking me and i must agree, why not show them? Seems odd?
When I did buy a house many years ago and needed a mortgage, only the mortgage company associated costs were estimated by the mortgage company. The other costs (even if known by the buyer ) were not included. Only a week before closing did the settlement statement reflect all costs - and even then it is possible that something gets left out by mistake.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Hey guys,
I haven't had a mortgage in ages and am now helping my daughter buy her first house, and in reviewing her mortgage app with the estimated closing costs, regarding the q below, I have no good answer to give my daughter:

Her total cost to close doesn't show credit from seller for taxes for 2019-closing in Feb 2020
(when I bought here it was with cash so I didn't have this kind of doc -mortgage app- to review, and I received credit from seller for the prior year's taxes through closing date, I bought in Feb 2016 so got 14 mos credited). Nor does it reflect the earnest deposit.

I realize the loan app contains many estimated costs and is not final figures like a settlement statement but why not show known expected credit?

Any reason for this? I know the settlement statement shall have true figures but my daughter is worried by this and I really had no explanation for her as to why these particular figures would not be included as they are known facts. I told her the settlement statement will be accurate and shall reflect all credits but can see her point, why would this doc differ on these two not-estimated figures.

TIA
The Loan Estimate should show a credit for the earnest money, assuming the lender had A copy of the contract prior to issuing. Prorated taxes however would not be on the loan estimate.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

TIA
The Loan Estimate should show a credit for the earnest money, assuming the lender had A copy of the contract prior to issuing. Prorated taxes however would not be on the loan estimate.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Thank you!

Yes she had a copy of the purchase agreement, so not sure why earnest money not shown?

I actually have an answer as to my other q, my daughter went ahead and texted the mortgage agent:

"For underwriting purposes we have to show total funds needed prior to credits so we can verify sufficient funds to close".

I get it now in a way; I was thinking this doc's figures should align exactly with what settlement statement will show (except for the estimated costs which may change of course) is all.

Another thing I noticed is some estimated costs are so inflated and will be far less ex: lender's title insurance is estimated at $800! This is realistically closer to $50-100.

I wonder if showing high estimates is to give the borrower a worst case idea of costs, so they're pleased when they get the HUD and actual costs are lower?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 AM

Lenders title insurance probably is that high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages