Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 12:52 AM

11 posts, read 7,300 times

Advertisements

I wrote a post that touched on the subject of shopping for fees instead of rates: https://www.city-data.com/forum/mort...-shopping.html. I wanted to expand upon that post a little more. The rates I listed in that post have been available for years. The only difference between now and two years ago is that the fees for those rates are a lot lower today than they were two years ago. When you hear, “mortgage rates are dropping”, what’s really happening is that the fees for those rates are dropping, not the rates themselves. It only appears that rates are dropping because lenders will advertise the lower rates as the fees drop down. Lenders will continue using rates to draw your attention and ultimately catch you because it works, even though we all have the same rates...

For example: A 2.875% 30–year fixed rate is currently available at every bank, non-bank lender, and broker in the country. The difference will be what each company is charging you in fees to get that 2.875% rate. On top of this, those fees will vary depending on your scenario, because of pricing adjustments...

Pricing Adjustments: Just about everyone knows that your credit will impact the pricing of your loan. A person with excellent credit will generally pay lower fees than someone with poorer credit in the same situation. Many people also know that the amount of equity you have in your home can impact your pricing, depending on the loan product. But very few consumers know that the size of your loan can also greatly impact the pricing - To a certain extent, someone with a $425,000 will get better pricing than someone with a $125,000 loan

Example: Two guys have the same credit and equity position but, one guy has a $125,000 loan amount and the other guy has a $425,000 loan amount. The guy with the $425,000 loan could proably get a 30-year fixed rate at 2.875% to 3.125% with no fees. The guy with the $125,000 loan would pay about $5000 to $6000 in fees to get those same rates. Huge difference.

When choosing a rate, select the one that benefits your situation the most. I’ve done tons of no fee loans for customers over the years. I like no fee loans but they are not always the best way to go. If you plan on moving soon but you want to lower your payment in the meantime, a no fee loan would be great. Or, maybe you refinanced six months ago and paid fees - a no fee loan would be nice so you can avoid paying fees twice. Or, maybe you feel that rate pricing is going to drop in a few months but you don’t want to miss out on what’s available now; a no fee loan would, once again, work out great. Many lenders promote “no fee” loans because they know that’s what consumers like to see.

Finally, don’t think the lender is “getting over on you” when it comes to paying fees. The lender wants your business, fees or no fees. They honestly could not care less if you pay fees or not. And the loan representative you are working with get’s paid exactly the same regardless of your rate and fees. You could get a 9% rate with $20,000 in fees and your loan rep gets paid the same as if you got a 1% rate with no fees. They don’t care because of the Loan Originator Compensation Rule: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...t-regulation-z This rule prevents us from being compensated based on terms like the rate and fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 10:31 AM

150 posts, read 143,311 times
Very helpful. Thank you.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I was quoted an interest rate of 2.75 and an APR of 2.787. Is it possible to tell from the difference in interest rate and APR if the fees are reasonable?

Old 08-10-2020, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 7,300 times
Default Apr

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I was quoted an interest rate of 2.75 and an APR of 2.787. Is it possible to tell from the difference in interest rate and APR if the fees are reasonable?
A 2.750% rate with a 2.750% APR would suggest no fees

A 2.750% rate with a 2.787% APR would suggest very little fees

A 2.750% rate with a 2.990% APR would be significant fees

The higher the APR is above the Note rate should reflect the amount of costs associated with the loan. However, the APR he/she quoted you is only as accurate as the information you gave him/her as well as what he/she used to calculate the APR. Even if you provided information like the estimated home value, loan amount, type of property, an estimate of your credit, occupancy, and the county, the representative could have been using a system that only calculates lender fees. And, if POS system figures are not available, most lenders allow manual quotation of the APR - the last very large, highly regulated bank I worked for allowed us to manually quote the APR using our best judgement and all the information available to us at that time, within a 1/8th tolerance, if POS system information was not available. Basically, we were allowed to pull it out of our butts.

I’m interested to know what the other loan originators on this forum think about using the APR as a shopping tool. I personally don’t use the APR to shop for the reasons I wrote about above as well as the fact that when you are viewing the APR for a particular rate on the internet, that APR is usually based on the “Goldielocks” figures that yield the best looking APR. Besides, I’d rather see the actual itemized fees on the official Loan Estimate: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/owni...loan-estimate/

I do think that using the APR as a sort of validation for the fees you are viewing on the Loan Estimate is cool. i also like that the APR is an easy way for a loan shopper to determine if they should pay fees to get a lower rate. Many people have been mislead into believing that paying points is a bad thing but, the lower APR of the rate with points reflects that it will save you more money over the term of the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages