Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 AM

6,330 posts, read 4,836,773 times

Advertisements

Read your loan contract and make sure there isn't a pre-payment penalty tucked in there someplace.

If there isn't, pay off the loan right now.

Honorable stops where $6000 starts.

Lenders are vultures. Their employees and agents are part of it. I wouldn't give a hoot for agent if it saved me $6000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 AM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Read your loan contract and make sure there isn't a pre-payment penalty tucked in there someplace.

If there isn't, pay off the loan right now.

Honorable stops where $6000 starts.

Lenders are vultures. Their employees and agents are part of it. I wouldn't give a hoot for agent if it saved me $6000.
Gosh, my integrity is worth a lot more than $6,000. Sorry to hear that your value is so low.

As to the OP, I'd check to see how much can be prepaid without causing any problems...and wait until 6 months to pay the loan off completely.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:55 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Gosh, my integrity is worth a lot more than $6,000. Sorry to hear that your value is so low.

As to the OP, I'd check to see how much can be prepaid without causing any problems...and wait until 6 months to pay the loan off completely.
We’ll do this!

Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 AM

3,805 posts, read 9,302,828 times
It involves payoff of the loan.

Lenders have an agreement with the end-investor that the loan will be active for a minimum of 180 days.

While there is not a Prepayment penalty to the borrower, I agree that anyone with a shred of integrity would care about the person who answered the call on the weekend to make the deal happen for you.

Also respect to you, OP, for not being a small, little Internet Tough Guy.

Last edited by Pfhtex; 09-10-2020 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-10-2020, 12:21 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Maybe...until someone who isn't responsible about planning or finances decides they really need $ and expects that same lender move heaven and earth to get it for them.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:50 PM

10,224 posts, read 6,694,683 times
OP~
Here's what I'd do.

If the loan rep gets "damaged" by you paying off the loan early, then I'd ask the loan rep if they'd be willing to accept $2500 cash for your "closing the loan" early. These are "after tax" dollars, so they carry the most weight. Figure the loan officer may counter with $3000.

$3000 is a savings to you (instead of $6000.)

This should take some of the "sting" out of the commission being refunded.

If she says "NO" to your offer, then ask her to counter offer. If it's agreeable, then do it.

If it's not agreeable, then pay off the loan, knowing you tried to do the honorable thing.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:25 PM

383 posts, read 381,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~
Here's what I'd do.

If the loan rep gets "damaged" by you paying off the loan early, then I'd ask the loan rep if they'd be willing to accept $2500 cash for your "closing the loan" early. These are "after tax" dollars, so they carry the most weight. Figure the loan officer may counter with $3000.

$3000 is a savings to you (instead of $6000.)

This should take some of the "sting" out of the commission being refunded.

If she says "NO" to your offer, then ask her to counter offer. If it's agreeable, then do it.

If it's not agreeable, then pay off the loan, knowing you tried to do the honorable thing.
Norty, that is so illegal! No LO who values their profession and license would agree to accept cash under the table from a client.

Pftex is a loan officer and is letting OP know what happens to an LO's pay when someone pays off their loan earlier than 6 months. Does anyone here like to work for free?? It's indeed a low blow when someone pays off early and your pay gets raked back; it's an even lower blow to the loan officer when someone says they will make their six payments and then they go ahead and pay it off KNOWING that person will not see a dime for their work. That's flat out legal stealing, IMO and, well, you know what they say about Karma.

OP, you may also want to look into getting a bridge loan. That's a short term loan to carry you through those few weeks before your house sells.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:30 PM

6,330 posts, read 4,836,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

I'm always amused by people who take the moral high ground, until the money is coming out of their pocket. Then it's suddenly a different story.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:35 PM

2,393 posts, read 1,505,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Loan officer said: “Please promise me you’ll wait at least 6 months before paying this loan off, and we said Sure.”
You gave her your word. How good is your word?

Old 09-10-2020, 02:39 PM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoanChic View Post
Norty, that is so illegal! No LO who values their profession and license would agree to accept cash under the table from a client.

Pftex is a loan officer and is letting OP know what happens to an LO's pay when someone pays off their loan earlier than 6 months. Does anyone here like to work for free?? It's indeed a low blow when someone pays off early and your pay gets raked back; it's an even lower blow to the loan officer when someone says they will make their six payments and then they go ahead and pay it off KNOWING that person will not see a dime for their work. That's flat out legal stealing, IMO and, well, you know what they say about Karma.

OP, you may also want to look into getting a bridge loan. That's a short term loan to carry you through those few weeks before your house sells.
We are already in the loan. The bridge loan was totally unavailable to us and so was refi on the old house. We did a ton of research before we took the 30 year conventional loan at 3% interest that we are now in. Last time we sold a lot of stock and our medicare premiums doubled for 2 years and we had to pay income tax on our gains even though it went right into a home purchase. So this time we thought this was the best option.

We will talk to our LO and honor the commitment. Now, tho, wondering if we make a big upfront lump payment and keep the loan alive until 6 months expires what the impact of that on our LO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages