Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:13 AM

49 posts, read 202,434 times

Advertisements

Question for you all.

If you were to purchase a home today, which mortgage option would you take?

1) Purchase a home with a minimum 5% downpayment on a 30 yr mortgage and hold onto your cash?

2) Put down a much higher downpayment and try to do a 15 year mortgage (higher monthly payments, might be tough) to bring down the principal balance faster to cover yourself in case the home loses value over the next few years?

Last edited by suzco; 05-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Thread moved to Real Estate forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 AM

353 posts, read 1,706,749 times
How long do you plan on living there? If it is more than 5 years don't worry about the price decline. If you really like the house and you feel what you are paying is worth what you are getting, take the house. If you plan on living there less than 5 years, don't buy the house. If you take it with a high down payment and have much higher payments you are only hurting yourself. Energy, food, and everything else is rising in price. Take your current budget and add at least 25% to your expenses. That is a realistic safety net in this economy. (The number might even be higher)

Moral of the story--- If you want to move again in the near future and are worried about falling values, don't buy at all. If falling values don't scare you and you do buy, take the 30 year.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Socal,
It really depends on your situation. Declining market values are only one issue here.

I think in general, in my opinion, a 15 year loan is better WHEN it is realistic. The interest savings are staggering and would be better placed in other investments. If the 15 year loan payments are "making it tough" then you shouldn't do it. Rise in other prices is too great right now and you don't want to put yourself in a position where you can't make YOUR mortgage payments. You don't want to be one of the many heading into foreclosure.

What you do completely depends on your own personal situation. I would suggest getting a really good financial planning book and make a long term plan for yourself. That may help you to decide which route is better.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM

323 posts, read 2,089,667 times
It obviously depends on your situation..

Why not get the 30yr mortgage, and if/when you can double up on the pymts instead of having to make that bigger payment all the time?

I'd also put down more than 5%...why do you want to hold onto cash...are you worried about a job loss etc...just keep enough for 3-6months in case of job loss and you should be fine.

Good Luck

Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,036 times
if you are diligent, go with 30 yr. if lazy and can afford 15 yr and wanna build equity on home, then go with 15 yr.

i'm a finance professor who can afford 15 but i'm getting 30 yr. i'll be putting the difference in pmt into my retirement fund pre tax.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
"Borrow as much as you can, for as long as you can, for as little as you can."

This was a little bit of advice I got from a pretty successful guy, who got it from his very successful father.

I'm a little ambivalent on the first part, but the other two, I tend to fall in line.
So, I guess I am the 30 year type...

Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Just take the 30 and double up your payments. It will give you more flexibility in case the 15 gets too much......

Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
I have purchased 4 houses over the past 13 years (military) and I always got a 30 year mortgage but then I always made extra principle only payments and paid off my houses early - 12 years or less. I chose to do 30 year loans because if for any reason I wind up short on cash, I would have the lower payment obligation if I needed it.
I wouldn't to lock myself into the 15 year loan then have a money problem or something.
I put down about 3% on all the house I bought. The first was a VA loan where I didn't have to have anything down. The other 3 were conventional and I had a good credit union who didn't makeme pay PMI even though I only put 3% down. My interest rate was a little higher but not much.
Good luck!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
Oh yeah, find a bank that doens't charge a prepayment penalty and don't fall for that scam where they charge you to set up biweekly payments. You can make biweekly payments yourself without paying someone to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
I have purchased 4 houses over the past 13 years (military) and I always got a 30 year mortgage but then I always made extra principle only payments and paid off my houses early - 12 years or less. I chose to do 30 year loans because if for any reason I wind up short on cash, I would have the lower payment obligation if I needed it.
I wouldn't to lock myself into the 15 year loan then have a money problem or something.
I put down about 3% on all the house I bought. The first was a VA loan where I didn't have to have anything down. The other 3 were conventional and I had a good credit union who didn't makeme pay PMI even though I only put 3% down. My interest rate was a little higher but not much.
Good luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 PM

185 posts, read 967,329 times
Default 15 year builds rapid equity, 30 year pays bank huge interest.

$200k loan on 30 year at 5.72% (current national average rate):
Mortgage calculator: Bankrate.com

17.8% of your monthly payment is applied to principal on 1st payment.
24% of your monthly payment is applied to principal on year 5.
31.6% of your monthly payment is applied to principal on year 10.

$200k loan on 15 year at 5.29% (current national average rate):
Mortgage calculator: Bankrate.com

45% of your monthly payment is applied to principal on 1st payment.
60% of your monthly payment is applied to principal on year 5.
80% of your monthly payment is applied to principal on year 10.

You should analyze the amortization tables of a 30 yr vs. 15 year before making a decision. Realize that on a 30 year, the amortization is stacked heavily in the lender’s favor. Unless you add extra payments to principal, you will be on a painfully expensive 30 year amortization which applies most of your payment to interest until you are 19 years into the loan! Only by the 19th year will 50% of your monthly payment finally be applied to principal. However, on a 15 year amortization, 50% of your monthly payment will be applied to principal by the 2nd year.

Now even if in you increase your monthly payment to match what a 15 year monthly payment would have been, you will still pay thousands more in interest because of the dreadfully expensive 30 year amortization.

Keep in mind that your interest rate determines the ratio of interest and principal. An interest rate of 4.62% on a 15 year amortization will automatically start you out at > 50% of your monthly payment being applied to principal (1st payment). Conversely, a 30 year at 7.5% will start you out at only 10% of your monthly payment applied to principal.

In short, a 15 year is better for the mortgagor and a 30 year is preferred for the mortgagee. If you can afford the monthly payment on a 15 year term then the choice is obvious.

Sadly, rates on 10 year mortgages are actually higher than a 15 year term (as banks want to discourage borrowers from taking "low profit / low interest" 10 year loans).
10-year fixed mortgage rates in the United States Friday

Last edited by simcity; 05-04-2008 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages