Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2021, 08:02 AM

126 posts, read 80,611 times

Advertisements

So, this is what I'm concerned about.

I purchased a home several years back but have since added a tremendous value to it, mostly unpermitted upgrades. The county does not know about these upgrades.

If I try to refinance I'm going to have to get an appraisal on the house and it will most likely be significantly higher -- not just because of the market but also because of my unpermitted upgrades being taken into consideration.

Is this fear justified? Will this raise my taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:20 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
No. Short answer. That appraisal is only shared with you and the bank.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
No. Short answer. That appraisal is only shared with you and the bank.
Agreed.

One main reason for building permits is to add the additional value to your taxes. Unless you do something obvious like add on a room or pool they are not likely to find out until you sell and potential buyers question it. Some cities will have aircraft going around looking for signs of unpermitted work.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:11 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
The county will get the new deed which has your financed amount on it. If you take cash out with your finance, and you will be financing a much larger number than previous value, that could raise a flag as to why there's such a large number being taken out on the house if it was previously valued much lower than the new financed amount...

Old 04-10-2021, 05:53 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretnaGreen View Post
Most of these mortgage liens are filed by bored clerks. I seriously doubt that the town clerk will take the time to look up your tax appraisal when they record the new mortgage. In small towns however, it may be a neighbor or someone who has an interest in your property.

In my town, the city clerk records the mortgages whilst the tax appraisals are a separate department. Since the city clerk has no reason to look at tax appraisals, if they did look up the appraisal based on information they learned through their job as clerk, their employment could be terminated.

All in all, I would say the risk is small. How bored are your town clerks?
I'm not sure what you're even talking about, because that it not at all what I was saying. When there is a deed change, the appraisal district knows. The appraisal district gets the notices for homestead exemptions that fall off properties because of sales and Over 65 exemptions, etc. They see every time a house changes hands. The appraisal district can look and see what the deed was recorded as. This has nothing to do with the county clerk people at all.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:34 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
There is no deed in a refinance. I am reading on my phone so I could have missed something.

Didn't pull permits. Red flag. But it may not even matter. OP, did you add square footage or add a bathroom? The biggest misconception regarding home improvement adding significant value are the owners that re-do a kitchen that cost them $20,000, thinking it adds $20,000 value to the home.

Now, if county records show 2 bathrooms and there are now 4, the appraiser will note two unpermitted bathrooms in the appraisal. The lender could easily require the county approve the improvements.

Or nothing at all will happen regarding permits. But without square footage or another room or such (deck, garage, etc), I think the OP may be in for a disappointment with the appraiser's market value.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 AM

126 posts, read 80,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
There is no deed in a refinance. I am reading on my phone so I could have missed something.

Didn't pull permits. Red flag. But it may not even matter. OP, did you add square footage or add a bathroom? The biggest misconception regarding home improvement adding significant value are the owners that re-do a kitchen that cost them $20,000, thinking it adds $20,000 value to the home.

Now, if county records show 2 bathrooms and there are now 4, the appraiser will note two unpermitted bathrooms in the appraisal. The lender could easily require the county approve the improvements.

Or nothing at all will happen regarding permits. But without square footage or another room or such (deck, garage, etc), I think the OP may be in for a disappointment with the appraiser's market value.
The most substantial renovation I did was take the small master shower and extend it into a spare closet on the other side. Did not add sq feet, just utilized it differently. Now the shower is twice as big -- quite a bit more valuable than had I kept the shower size the same cramped size. I did have to re-route a vent pipe to do that and frame off the other side (plus re-enforce from down below).

Then I re-did another bath but didn't change anything about it other than flooring, shut offs, toilet, vanity, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages