Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 02:22 PM

307 posts, read 213,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I don't know about a "city clerk", but it's generally the "County Clerk's" office which handles the filing of the "Release" in the record books. A "Release" is an official document that certifies that the "Lien" on your property has been satisfied/paid. It can often take several weeks for the bank or mortgage company to get around to sending in the Release.
I'm in Louisiana so we don't have counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 03:00 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle2 View Post
I'm in Louisiana so we don't have counties.
Well then, excuse me for trying to help.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:44 AM

213 posts, read 165,933 times
Congratulations!!! Cheers!!!

I too paid off my house in August. Huge sense of relief and accomplishment. Paid the place in 9 years.
We're currently waiting for a year or two and upgrade.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:39 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Take the money that went into the mortgage and set up automatic investments with a mutual fund company or your broker. Invest it before you spend it.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 AM

762 posts, read 451,591 times
Inspiring to hear the good news.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Congratulations. Paying off the mortgage is one of the cornerstones of achieving financial freedom, if not the main one. It's been exactly 1 year since I paid off our house within 5 yrs and I'm now focused on getting the kids through college debt free.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:05 PM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
I am so glad to have mine paid off, and feel at ease hiring somebody else to do the yard maintenance. I probably would feel compelled to spend my time (and money and maintenance hassle) with a mower otherwise. My weekends are not spent mowing... booyah!!!

Paying off your house is such a key pillar of personal stability. It's much easier to consider retiring early, or starting your own business, when you don't have to cover a mortgage. It is so much easier to cover unexpected expenses (auto repair, medical bills, assisting relatives) when that additional mortgage cash STAYS in YOUR hands each month, to potentially use for other purposes.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:10 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
I paid off my 30 year mortgage 6 years early. I got a promotion at work and took that extra money and started paying extra towards the principal each month until I finally paid it off. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment!!
Making extra principal payments is a great move, and "easier" than most people think. I pay half my monthly mortgage every two weeks, which results in a couple of extra principal payments every year. Pretty painless!

Old 10-05-2021, 11:16 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
I paid off my 30 year mortgage 6 years early. I got a promotion at work and took that extra money and started paying extra towards the principal each month until I finally paid it off. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment!!
This IS a huge accomplishment! Congrats!
Having that black cloud over your shoulders every day/week/month/year gets really old. It's so nice to have that burden lifted.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:53 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Making extra principal payments is a great move, and "easier" than most people think. I pay half my monthly mortgage every two weeks, which results in a couple of extra principal payments every year. Pretty painless!
Never figured out why someone would pay every two weeks instead of either just making one extra payment toward principal per year or adding 1/12th of the principal and interest to each months payment. Do you do this through a third party or directly through your lender?

FYI-you are making ONE extra payment toward principal each year by making your payment every two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages