Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 12:22 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,861,751 times

Advertisements

I am going through financing buying rental property. They look at my existing rental income as part of determining my DTI. One of rentals has a monthly rent of $3,200/mo but from my tax filing it shows a monthly negative cash flow of -$120/mo, so they don't count it as part of rental income. I said that's because it included the "paper loss" of depreciation. But they said they have to go with what the tax filing says. Fortunately, my other rentals are new this year so they based on income by the lease agreement. This is a financing through the builder.

Is this a common practice? If so how would my future rental income be counted as income, since on paper they will all have losses due to depreciation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 12:41 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,528,387 times
It sounds like you are over-leaveraged or you're really not making money fom your rentals. How is it that your depreciation expense results in paper losses?

Old 11-22-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
How is it that your depreciation expense results in paper losses?
It is done all the time. Are you an experienced real estate investor?

Old 11-22-2021, 02:17 PM

Yes. And all my rental properties including my primary home are paid-off. Which brings me back to my point. Are you over-levaraged?

Reminds me of the experienced investors during the GHC from which I benefitted from. The underwriting standards are more stringent for this reason. Your returns should be greater than depreciation unless you are stretching yourself thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It is done all the time. Are you an experienced real estate investor?

Old 11-22-2021, 03:13 PM

5,339 posts, read 14,077,050 times
Quote:
I am going through financing buying rental property. They look at my existing rental income as part of determining my DTI. One of rentals has a monthly rent of $3,200/mo but from my tax filing it shows a monthly negative cash flow of -$120/mo, so they don't count it as part of rental income. I said that's because it included the "paper loss" of depreciation. But they said they have to go with what the tax filing says. Fortunately, my other rentals are new this year so they based on income by the lease agreement. This is a financing through the builder.

Is this a common practice? If so how would my future rental income be counted as income, since on paper they will all have losses due to depreciation?
Standard that we have to go off the tax returns, BUT we get to add back any depreciation.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Standard that we have to go off the tax returns, BUT we get to add back any depreciation.
So you're saying by adding back depreciation, then my property will show a positive cash flow. It sounds like the loan guy did not add back the depreciation then.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Yes. And all my rental properties including my primary home are paid-off. Which brings me back to my point. Are you over-levaraged?
I don't think I am by conventional standard.

Your home is paid off which means all that equity sits there and do nothing for you. It's no wonder you're showing a positive cash flow yest you're way under-leveraged.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:12 PM

Think of it this way, my housing needs have been fulfilled. I don't have to work to pay the mortgage. It's called financial freedom, the cost of a peace of mind. I'm not a slave to any bank.

Quote:
I don't think I am by conventional standard.

Your home is paid off which means all that equity sits there and do nothing for you. It's no wonder you're showing a positive cash flow yest you're way under-leveraged.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:26 PM

5,339 posts, read 14,077,050 times
Quote:
So you're saying by adding back depreciation, then my property will show a positive cash flow. It sounds like the loan guy did not add back the depreciation then.
Correct. If your bottom line on that rental was (1,000) for the year after all expenses, but you claimed $13k in depreciation, you would be +1,000/mo. for the rental income calculation.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:33 AM

Update: Although the loan officer did not add back the depreciation as discussed above, somehow we're "qualified" for the loan. The paperwork is being sent to the underwriter. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Convoluted as it may, this loan is cheaper than non-QM loans, as it's financed directly through the builder. I save 1 to 2 points on the loan and 1.375% LESS on the mortgage rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages