U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 11,146 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been investing for 3 years now in rental properties.

Mortgages I obtained were in my name and now the ratio of my salary to my mortgage payments has reached a level where I am not able to get more mortgages.

Is there another way to obtain mortgages for new properties? there must be as I can not beleive that this is the end of the line.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 06:24 PM

3,553 posts, read 7,028,671 times
Your ratio shouldn't be that bad if your properties are truly profitable! The reason that only 76% of the rent is counted is because FNMA/GNMA know that the "real" cost of operating a SFH rental is a lot higher than most landlords think it is!

Allowance for vacancies, management, repairs, upkeep, turnover, legal etc generally run the costs up to about 45% of rent.

IIRC you're still allowed to have 10 "conforming" loans in your own name. I'm not sure of the number because I used the excess profits from my rentals to retire my loans and owned all of them FREE AND CLEAR.

I know the gurus tell you to leverage to the max, but that's a fools game. RE does not only go up. Get caught in a few years of flat or declining prices/rents and you could easily find yourself in the same deep hole that a lot of "get rich quick" types are today.

If you're not already hanging on some of the RE investing sites, PM me and I'll shoot you over the site names.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or