Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 PM

37 posts, read 223,157 times

Advertisements

Any loan having more than 80% LTV requires PMI. How soon after closing can you cancel PMI? I just heard today that you might be required to keep if for minimum period of time, even if you hit the 80% mark of the loan (not of market value from a new appraisal, but of original loan value) before a year is up. What if you hit the required 78% LTV in less than a year? Does the lender still have to drop the PMI regardless of the time the loan has been in existence?

I'm not sure if even the IRS is this complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 23,132 times
Well the biggest thing to get in mind right now is the current market that we are in... your appraised value might have gone DOWN since you purchased your home and THAT is what the MI is based off of. In order to try to get your MI off you would new a new appraisal and than you would have to try and get it approved with the MI company that you are with. With most areas now considered "declining market" you most likely will not be able to get it off just yet...sorry. I could be incorrect but I have been underwriting and processing mortgages for 11 years so I am pretty sure.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacierandall View Post
Well the biggest thing to get in mind right now is the current market that we are in... your appraised value might have gone DOWN since you purchased your home and THAT is what the MI is based off of. In order to try to get your MI off you would new a new appraisal and than you would have to try and get it approved with the MI company that you are with. With most areas now considered "declining market" you most likely will not be able to get it off just yet...sorry. I could be incorrect but I have been underwriting and processing mortgages for 11 years so I am pretty sure.
The OP is not using an appraisal to get rid of the PMI. He is paying the loan down. On a conventional deal, I beleive they have to drop it at once you pay down the loan to 78% of the sales price no matter how long it has been.

Once you have it paid down to 78% of original sales price, contact the lender and tell them they should be removing the PMI.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 AM

37 posts, read 223,157 times
Yes, we will be paying it down. So, from what you're saying, 78% seems mandatory regardless of time, but 80% is up to the lender.

Mentioning an appraisal brings up another question. How long is the original appraisal valid before it "expires?" For example, if appraisal values are supposed to be valid for a company to use for 3 months, and you reach 80% in three months, can you use the appraisal from the original sale as your proof that the home is 80% LTV? We'd like to wait until we have 20% down, but the seller cannot wait. But, we should be able to get to 80% down quickly after closing. Should get to 78% down easily, also.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,183,954 times
Hi weartoomany, here is a link for a HUD website page with good (and correct) information re PMI and the PMI Act that dictates the rules on this subject. Hope this helps!

HUD PMI Act Information (http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/res/respapmi.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages