Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times

Advertisements

We are currently working on paying down things that are on our credit report- however we'd like to purchase a home sooner rather than later. We have two small children and are now in an area we know we want to stay in for awhile. There are so many foreclosures and shorts sale opportunities now, I'm going nuts thinking about having to rent for another year.

There's certainly no shortage of adverts online from companies claiming to do mortgages for people with bad credit-however we don't want to get scammed. Can anyone share info on companies they'd recommend we check out or to stay clear of completely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:43 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,881 times
What state? FL?

Offhand, it sounds like you're gonna need FHA. How poor is your credit? Your score>

Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,248 times
Just how bad is your credit and for what reasons? My bank does a good deal of FHA business and we do manual underwriting on virtually every file.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:46 AM

199 posts, read 712,492 times
I just refinanced through FHA and Chase Manhatten Bank. My original mortgage less than a year old was through Countrywide at 7.5% interest due to poor/fair credit (been a single mom all of my life with four kids). I refinanced after 8 months of early payments at 5.85%. Lowered my payment $150 a month which I still pay (want to pay off early). Had no costs and it was well worth the time, closed in 30 days. Know that Countrywide is out of the business but you might try FHA/Chase. By the way, we did put 15% down. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
We are currently working on paying down things that are on our credit report- however we'd like to purchase a home sooner rather than later. We have two small children and are now in an area we know we want to stay in for awhile. There are so many foreclosures and shorts sale opportunities now, I'm going nuts thinking about having to rent for another year.

There's certainly no shortage of adverts online from companies claiming to do mortgages for people with bad credit-however we don't want to get scammed. Can anyone share info on companies they'd recommend we check out or to stay clear of completely?
I would rent until you can qualify for a FHA loan. Go see a FHA lender and they will let you know what that time frame looks like and what steps you should take.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
more information is needed.

1. credit score
2. have you had any credit lates in the last 12months
3. have you had bk 13 in the last 12months, bk 7 in the last 24months, and/or Foreclosure in the last 36months.
4. what is your debt to income
5. can you put any money down

Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipL View Post
What state? FL?

Offhand, it sounds like you're gonna need FHA. How poor is your credit? Your score>
We do live in Florida again as of April.

Lat time I checked the score was in the 400's which I know is Poor, but a lot of the major things (ie; car repossession 2 years ago and a couple of credit cards) either show paid in full or they will soon. But, I know it takes awhile for the actual score to go up which is why I am asking. Also, I think my score may be slightly better than his but I am not employed which was a problem last time we tried to purchase a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Just how bad is your credit and for what reasons? My bank does a good deal of FHA business and we do manual underwriting on virtually every file.
It is considered bad I think, but what I am wanting to know is whether it's possible to get a mortgage while some things are being paid such as medical bills or do we absolutely HAVE to wait until EVERYTHING is paid and the score improves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
I just refinanced through FHA and Chase Manhatten Bank. My original mortgage less than a year old was through Countrywide at 7.5% interest due to poor/fair credit (been a single mom all of my life with four kids). I refinanced after 8 months of early payments at 5.85%. Lowered my payment $150 a month which I still pay (want to pay off early). Had no costs and it was well worth the time, closed in 30 days. Know that Countrywide is out of the business but you might try FHA/Chase. By the way, we did put 15% down. Good luck.

I am so ready to be in our own home, I would gladly pay 7.5% for a year or two. And thanks for letting me know Countrywide is one that's out of business because they are the only one that came up online that I had actually HEARD of.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to those that replied so far. I do know that FHA is an option once things are paid and we pay ALL the bills on time for a year including rent etc.. and the bank stays in the black for 12 consecutive months. It's just hard when one is so ready to be settled.

Does anyone know of a reputable company other than Countrywide that does higher interest mortgages with our current situation?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM

1. Do not pay off any medical bills. FHA ignores medical collections.
2. Payoff all JUDGEMENTS...(not collections)
3. Try to payoff the repo if there's a balance
4. Try to pay the newer collection accounts.

make sure to do it in this order.

Do you have any student loans or anything that isn't current?

Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
more information is needed.

1. credit score
2. have you had any credit lates in the last 12months
3. have you had bk 13 in the last 12months, bk 7 in the last 24months, and/or Foreclosure in the last 36months.
4. what is your debt to income
5. can you put any money down

We don't have any bank loans at all now, and we own both of our vehicles outright. Other than medical bills, I think we just owe one judgement from a cell phone contract a couple years ago. That is on my husbands credit but unfortunately he's let it go on and isn't very good about paying his bill for the current cell phone on time.

Until the past two months we were doing well at keeping things paid on time etc... but then - we went on vacation and had a child about two weeks apart. The vacation involved several people and had been planned for over a year. We went a little overdrawn and got a couple of NSF on the bank.

We are on one income of $50,000/yr and would like to qualify on one income anyway because I will probably stay home for awhile with two little ones. It would take about 3 months, but we could save a 3% downpayment pretty easily for a $100,000 house if we put our minds to it.

Quote:
Do you have any student loans or anything that isn't current?
\

I have one student loan for about $2500 that's currently in deferment because I had a baby recently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our outgoing is pretty minimal to tell the truth. We've just spent so much time and money moving around the past 4 years for different contract positions that we never had chance to save anything or get caught up. We paid off the repoed car about 3 months ago, we'll have the last credit card judgement paid this month and then there's just a thing from Cingular Wireless (which is now part of AT&T). Does anyone know how we'd go about disputing that one since the company doesn't exist any longer? What he owes them is mostly fees anyway.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 06-16-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 AM

you can't have any credit lates in the last 12months.

ALL judgements must be paid. Collection accounts are different than judgements.

[quote=floridadreamer;4122230]
Quote:
more information is needed.{/QUOTE]

We don't have any bank loans at all now, and we own both of our vehicles outright. Other than medical bills, I think we just owe one judgement from a cell phone contract a couple years ago. That is on my husbands credit but unfortunately he's let it go on and isn't very good about paying his bill for the current cell phone on time.

Until the past two months we were doing well at keeping things paid on time etc... but then - we went on vacation and had a child about two weeks apart. The vacation involved several people and had been planned for over a year.

\

I have one student loan for about $2500 that's currently in deferment because I had a baby recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages