Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 PM

37 posts, read 223,172 times

Advertisements

If you do have 20% down and don't escrow, do closing costs ever require any prepaid taxes, hazard insurance, etc? Or, are the closing costs just the lender's cost for doing business (appraisal, title, attorney, taxes, etc.)

Thank you!
Deanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 05:43 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
you will pay 0.25% in discount points for the escrow waiver.
will also have prepaid interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
If you do have 20% down and don't escrow, do closing costs ever require any prepaid taxes, hazard insurance, etc? Or, are the closing costs just the lender's cost for doing business (appraisal, title, attorney, taxes, etc.)

Thank you!
Deanna

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 AM

542 posts, read 1,685,005 times
I did not escrow and I was still required to pay the first year hazard insurance at closing

Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 AM

that's a little bit different, and varies by lender.

I'm not sure if the OP meant that they will be paying prepaid escrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
I did not escrow and I was still required to pay the first year hazard insurance at closing

Old 06-17-2008, 02:33 PM

We will not have any escrow. We will have 20% down, and after your helpful post renriq, I asked about points to avoid escrow. We are doing a portfolio with a local bank and will not be charged extra for not escrowing . That's ONE good piece of news (the whole business is exhuasting). BTW, I've heard in the past that banks don't charge for not escrowing. Is that still the case with banks who sell on the mortgage market, or is that from the good ol' days of more portfolio lending by banks?

So it's a 20% down with no escrowing required. Do you think hazard insurance will be required to be prepaid?

I should be receiving the GFE soon, but I can't help but obsess about details. It's been such a rollercoaster ride till now, and knowing what to expect GREATLY helps me prepare. We are down to the wire.

Thank you!
Deanna

Last edited by weartoomanyhats; 06-17-2008 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: add data

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM

renriq: What's the difference between no escrow and paying prepaid escrow?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 PM

it's very common for every lender to charge 0.25% to waive the escrow.
Some things do require that the whole year be paid upfront like hazard insurance.

If you forget to pay your taxes, the lender can structure a plan to have it paid. The foreclosure process for not paying your taxes can be quite long.

If you forget to pay your hazard ins, the lender maybe notified at the wrong time. If you're not insured, and the house burns down, then the lender can't do anything.

Banks used to waive escrow if you did the combo loan 80/10/10 or 80/20 or 80/15/5. They would still charge the 0.25% to waive the escrow.

Quote:
We will not have any escrow. We will have 20% down, and after your helpful post renriq, I asked about points to avoid escrow. We are doing a portfolio with a local bank and will not be charged extra for not escrowing . That's ONE good piece of news (the whole business is exhuasting). BTW, I've heard in the past that banks don't charge for not escrowing. Is that still the case with banks who sell on the mortgage market, or is that from the good ol' days of more portfolio lending by banks?

So it's a 20% down with no escrowing required. Do you think hazard insurance will be required to be prepaid?

I should be receiving the GFE soon, but I can't help but obsess about details. It's been such a rollercoaster ride till now, and knowing what to expect GREATLY helps me prepare. We are down to the wire.

Thank you!
Deanna

Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Deanna
A portfolio loan will not charge the 0.25% for not escrowing. That is a secondary (fannie/freddie) fee.

Proof of hazard insurance will be required, but you will not have to pay a full years' worth. You can pay monthly or whatever your agent offers, you just need proof that the home is covered. Myself I would pay the whole year as you will get a discount and you don't want to accidentally miss a payment and risk it lapsing.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Thank you very much for your replies. We agree with you about insurance payment and generally pay all insurance for the full year (or 6 months with car). I must say, as I go through this process, portfolio loans look nicer and nicer and nicer. Is it me or do they seem simpler?!

Thank you again. Here's hoping for a close.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM

this is what happened with Angelo Mozilo and US Senator Chris Dodd.

When the bank likes you, then you're going to go through a lot easier.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your replies. We agree with you about insurance payment and generally pay all insurance for the full year (or 6 months with car). I must say, as I go through this process, portfolio loans look nicer and nicer and nicer. Is it me or do they seem simpler?!

Thank you again. Here's hoping for a close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages