U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,026,175 times

Advertisements

I am an aspiring first time home-buyer with lots of questions.

DH and I have been attending Open Houses for several months now while we are building up our down payment. As we're new to Charlotte, this has been a good way to help us get a feel for neighborhoods.

Based on our own self-education and research, we know roughly what our price range is, but have yet to speak with a lender to actually confirm that our estimate is accurate.

My question is about the timing of it all. If we talk to a lender now, but don't anticipate purchasing anything until, say, December or January, does the quote/rate the give us still apply?

I understand that lenders have to look at your credit report to determine the amount you can qualify for, and that there is a 14-day window when inquiries don't negatively impact your credit (is this correct?).

If we talk to a lender now to find out how much we can borrow, but don't actually want to purchase anything for another six months (or longer), what impact does that have on our search?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,633,642 times
To receive 'real' quotes they will have to pull your credit.
Your credit score may change in December, and the rates will definitely change by then.

Also, the new window is 30days that you're allowed to go shopping for a mortgage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I am an aspiring first time home-buyer with lots of questions.

DH and I have been attending Open Houses for several months now while we are building up our down payment. As we're new to Charlotte, this has been a good way to help us get a feel for neighborhoods.

Based on our own self-education and research, we know roughly what our price range is, but have yet to speak with a lender to actually confirm that our estimate is accurate.

My question is about the timing of it all. If we talk to a lender now, but don't anticipate purchasing anything until, say, December or January, does the quote/rate the give us still apply?

I understand that lenders have to look at your credit report to determine the amount you can qualify for, and that there is a 14-day window when inquiries don't negatively impact your credit (is this correct?).

If we talk to a lender now to find out how much we can borrow, but don't actually want to purchase anything for another six months (or longer), what impact does that have on our search?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,026,175 times
Good to know... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Also, the new window is 30days that you're allowed to go shopping for a mortgage.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM

152 posts, read 433,748 times
Thank you so much for this post my husband and I are going through this right now and you have answered a few questions for us.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,756,839 times
As renriq said about rates... something else to consider is to talk a mortgage broker/banker so that you can find out if you are on the right track though. You dont want to wait and pull credit in December to find out there is an error on it, or that you need more savings, down payment or other unexpected requirement.

You can always pull your own credit, those don't count as "hard" inquiries so do not hurt you and take that into a lender. You won't get a 100% guarantee but at least you can form a plan and know what you need to be doing to get ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages