Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I think you've answered your own questions, and also gotten a lot of excellent advice

At some point, it's a good thing to let kids stand on their own two feet.
A 30 year old who's finished their education and getting married should start being 100% responsible for their own finances IMO. Helping them is one thing; acting as a permanent crutch is another. Independence is also a gift.
Well said....
I think that is what is best for us and also what is best for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 AM

37 posts, read 223,144 times
I'm a layperson, but can't you transfer title? Why not have her transfer the title into your name, she moves out, and you put it on the market? Your situation will be the same--still paying a mortgage payment--but at least you'll be on your way to relief AND she'll be responsible for herself before she marries.

Is there a reason she just can't transfer title to your name? I thought that was done quite often.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Title is in kid's name, mortgage is co-signed by parent and child. Different legal reasons to do each.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
I'm a layperson, but can't you transfer title? Why not have her transfer the title into your name, she moves out, and you put it on the market? Your situation will be the same--still paying a mortgage payment--but at least you'll be on your way to relief AND she'll be responsible for herself before she marries.

Is there a reason she just can't transfer title to your name? I thought that was done quite often.
She is trying to figure out a way to keep the house.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 PM

37 posts, read 223,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
She is trying to figure out a way to keep the house.
I thought her first post said the best thing for her daughter was to sell the house and start fresh. If the daughter transfers the title to the parents' names, she can "start fresh" by moving out without having to worry about the house, the parents can keep making payments but put the house on the market. Parents are in the same position financially--paying each month for the house--but if she transfers title to the parents' names then they can take steps to sell. And, the daughter would be in a position of learning to make the tough choices, even when it hurts.

I admire her for going to school and raising a child, and I know she's incredibly busy. But, I thought the parent originally indicated that it was time to move on. They've been a big help to her by letting her finish school and get her degree, a wise move, but I thought they implied it was time to go to the next step. If they still feel the daughter needs to stay in the house, that's different. Then I misinterpreted her original post.

I've had to learn to make tough choices and recover from bad ones. Knowing Dad would say, "No," made a BIG difference! I'm a big fan of parents saying, "No," now. Taught me a lot.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
I thought her first post said the best thing for her daughter was to sell the house and start fresh. If the daughter transfers the title to the parents' names, she can "start fresh" by moving out without having to worry about the house, the parents can keep making payments but put the house on the market. Parents are in the same position financially--paying each month for the house--but if she transfers title to the parents' names then they can take steps to sell. And, the daughter would be in a position of learning to make the tough choices, even when it hurts.

I admire her for going to school and raising a child, and I know she's incredibly busy. But, I thought the parent originally indicated that it was time to move on. They've been a big help to her by letting her finish school and get her degree, a wise move, but I thought they implied it was time to go to the next step. If they still feel the daughter needs to stay in the house, that's different. Then I misinterpreted her original post.

I've had to learn to make tough choices and recover from bad ones. Knowing Dad would say, "No," made a BIG difference! I'm a big fan of parents saying, "No," now. Taught me a lot.
I am the OP and I guess I meant if she cannot refinance I think
selling is better than us staying on the loan. That was the origainal
agreement.. We will cosign and when you finish school you need to
refinance in your name or sell. We are fine if she is working on refinancing
within 3-6 months .

If she cannot refinance she will need to sell
and it seems if she does that she should live there while it is on the market.
Also she has been paying the monthy..not us, so if we started paying that
it would cost us more.

When I originally posted we were tossing around some ideas like
buying the place and renting to her, but we are thinking it would be
better for her and us to not do that. It is hard when you could
easily make it easier on her to stay there but "easy"
may not be the best thing.

ps. It sounds like you have great and wise parents!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages