U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 12:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,915,123 times

Advertisements

Sorry for x-post but this got no useful responses in Real Estate forum.

I'm still in the contingency period, but it's a short one so I'd appreciate some feedback ASAP. The pest report came back at about $6200, most of it Section 1 items (fumigation and preventative repairs). The report has been forwarded to the appraiser. Will I be unable to get the loan from WaMu if the selling bank sticks to its guns and insists on an as-is sale? A conversation I had with my lender suggested it might be an issue, and the seller would have to take care of it as a matter of course. Is this something that they know, expect and will deal with so I don't have to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,691,765 times
Not sure why you would submit a 'pest inspection' to the lender or appraiser.

I have never had a lender require one. They will require that you do sign a document stating that the LENDER notified you of obtaining a home inspection. Whether you get one or not doesn't matter.

REOs are given as 'as is' properties, and I haven't seen one where they will fix it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Sorry for x-post but this got no useful responses in Real Estate forum.

I'm still in the contingency period, but it's a short one so I'd appreciate some feedback ASAP. The pest report came back at about $6200, most of it Section 1 items (fumigation and preventative repairs). The report has been forwarded to the appraiser. Will I be unable to get the loan from WaMu if the selling bank sticks to its guns and insists on an as-is sale? A conversation I had with my lender suggested it might be an issue, and the seller would have to take care of it as a matter of course. Is this something that they know, expect and will deal with so I don't have to?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM

I got a straight answer as to what he meant. He said if the appraiser calls for a pest report, and after factoring in it comes to less than what I'm paying, then the bank is on the hook to do the repairs or else. I really hope it doesn't come to that.. I'd rather pay for the repairs than have to walk away from the house. Maybe I'll submit a letter showing intent to make the repairs myself if it turns into a problem.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,691,765 times
The bank doesn't have to make any repairs to the home if they dont want to. They're not in the 'hook' as they're selling this property as 'as is'.

The bank can easily tell you to find another home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I got a straight answer as to what he meant. He said if the appraiser calls for a pest report, and after factoring in it comes to less than what I'm paying, then the bank is on the hook to do the repairs or else. I really hope it doesn't come to that.. I'd rather pay for the repairs than have to walk away from the house. Maybe I'll submit a letter showing intent to make the repairs myself if it turns into a problem.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Yeah I gathered that. If they don't respond to the pressure to do the repairs so that we can close, then I get my money back and keep looking. Hopefully if it comes to that, I can put together a repair package that I can activate on my own time after closing so I don't have to walk away from a property that's basically in very good condition for its age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages