Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,214,522 times

Advertisements

In today's mortgage-mess market, will lenders reject loan applications from average buyers (not investors) wanting to purchase acreage with a teardown outside the city limits, with the intent of building a new home? Obviously, preservationists and neighborhood associations who might object to interference with the "character" of the area wouldn't be a major factor in this kind of decision.

Would the mortgage needed for such a purchase have to be a combo "jumbo" loan, or what? I am in Oregon and would be using a VA loan.

I would be grateful for any kind of feedback that would help me with this idea. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,998,543 times
You need construction financing. I am almost positive that the VA Loan program excludes construction loans BUT lenders ought to be able to structure a deal where they do some interim financing until the home is completed and they roll that into a loan that will fit with the VA program.

This is far riskier than a normal mortgage, and banks will charge a premium for it. You really need to find the right kind of bank for this too. Even though you want to make this you personal home the kind of oversight that this requires is something that typically comes from a mid-sized bank that does commercial banking or may even specialize in business loans.

Ideally you will have a very big down payment and great credit. It would be nice if you had some kind of a ballpark estimate of what sort of existing home or land you will be buying, what sort of home you will be building and a fairly detailed time line of when this would start and be finished.

This is not a "fill out an application and get a check at closing" kind of thing. You might be wise to talk a mid-sized general contractor or two to at least find out a) which banks are up for this kind of task b) how eager the contractors are to get involved.

If you can get a loan through family/ friends/ business contacts to buy the land outright it could make things a little easier than having to finance the whole deal. This can be a very long and expensive proposition even in an otherwise affordable area. What you are doing, even if you intend to live there yourself, is becoming a developer. That is a risky endeavor at any time and in todays lending climate you need to do everything you can to impress a lender that they will NOT be stuck with some half finished project they they will never get their money out of. Of course if they can get this onto a VA loan their risk is much shorter in term but they won't reap long term benefits either.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,214,522 times
Thank you, Chet! You've given me lots to think about if I pursue this approach to purchasing a home, and I'm grateful that you gave me enough details about the process to ask the right questions of the right people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages