Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,508 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing some rumblings about the financial situation of these two companies.

Any thoughts out there from folks in the mortgage biz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
They're both insolvent....

They're going to need someone to bail them out

Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
They're both insolvent....

They're going to need someone to bail them out

That sounds scary...you mean the govt will bail them out and everything continues on? Will this impact the housing market in some form?

Thanks

Old 07-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Will find out Monday if the Treasury will bail them out

Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 AM

380 posts, read 2,351,043 times
Assuming there's a gov't, bailout, what do you think will happen to folks trying to get mortgages now or in the near future?

We're supposed to close in 30 days. Fortunately, broker switched us from Indymac to Amtrust. Are we safer going back to the credit union in case Fannie/Freddie fail in the next month?

Old 07-13-2008, 01:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Post News, The $5 trillion mess.

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- They own or guarantee $5 trillion worth of mortgages* - nearly half of all the country's outstanding home loan debt - and they're crashing. But not everybody is convinced they should be.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are struggling with an investor loss of confidence so great that, while they're unlikely to go under, they could conceivably see their ability to function impaired. That would wreak yet more havoc on an already wrecked housing market - making loans tougher to come by and possibly pushing hundreds of billions of dollars in cost onto U.S. taxpayers.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac: The $5 trillion mess - Jul. 11, 2008

Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Technically not a bailout but nevertheless..the Fed rescues yet more institutions.
Although they have indicated this is their last one..anyone after this goes belly up like IndyMac did Friday.

Treasury, Fed take bold steps to back Freddie and Fannie - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Technically not a bailout but nevertheless..the Fed rescues yet more institutions.
Although they have indicated this is their last one..anyone after this goes belly up like IndyMac did Friday.

Treasury, Fed take bold steps to back Freddie and Fannie - Yahoo! News (broken link)

OK... my current mortgage is through IndyMac and has been for over a year..should I be worried and trying to refinance with someone else?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM

you should only refinance to lower your rate or to lower the term.

You will receive a notice indicating the new lender that has purchased your loan. Until then continue making payments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
OK... my current mortgage is through IndyMac and has been for over a year..should I be worried and trying to refinance with someone else?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
you should only refinance to lower your rate or to lower the term.

You will receive a notice indicating the new lender that has purchased your loan. Until then continue making payments

OH this just sucks! I did my refi through Quicken and about a month after signing my mortgage was sold to IndyMac, and it has been smooth sailing since...and now I am going to have to deal with yet another mortgage company?? I would love to get a lower rate, but with this market is that possible? I would also like to be with a company that is not going to sell my account everytime I turn around. Does anyone have any suggestions and good reliable companies, or are there any left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages