Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:06 PM

596 posts, read 2,868,740 times

Advertisements

Once again some excellent advise. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM

596 posts, read 2,868,740 times
If there are 3+ yr old charged off accts on some reports, and a collection agency crops up on the reports for one of those old accts within 12 months of a mortgage loan, will this be cause for a denial (fha)?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,548,110 times
the Underwriter may request payment of that account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
If there are 3+ yr old charged off accts on some reports, and a collection agency crops up on the reports for one of those old accts within 12 months of a mortgage loan, will this be cause for a denial (fha)?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,884 times
wondering the same thing i have one too

Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 AM

8,651 posts, read 22,811,428 times
If a collection agency buys your debt (typically for pennies on the dollar), they'll do whatever they can to collect. It's nothing for them to put the delinquent debt on your credit (once they own the debt), but it's up to you to contest the charge. Even though the SOL's says 3 years for the debt collection, doesn't mean it's off your credit report. Two completely different issues. Debt collectors know the average American is just too lazy to fight and know most will settle - especially if it's a debt they know they incurred.

I will say, if that's all that is on the credit report - debt that someone walked away from, it's going to be a problem these days. Underwriters will want to see credit from other creditors handled in a proper manner, with no late payments. Chances are strong a rental reference would be required, with zero late payments. Many apartments are either reporting to the bureaus, or, on the Verification of Rent, they are making note of how many times the tenant paid a late fee (more typical of large apartment complexes).

If someone is looking for little to no down payment, has unpaid collections, no other credit references and anything but a strong rental history, get your act together. I do, however, agree with the others about not paying the debt (especially if so large it can't be paid) with the exception being: if it's obvious you need to wait a year or so, try to negotiate the payoff to within your budget. Showing up as a "paid less than agreed" is rated the same as paid as agreed, for the final disposition (obviously, the history will remain). Your score will take an immediate hit, but it will rise rapidly as more time passes.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 608 times
I have a 6 year old charge off on an automobile the loan where I was the co-borrower the amount was for $22k .. I was wondering if I could find a mortgage lender that would approve me with a 640 credit score here in Louisiana..

Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,289,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinlouisiana View Post
I have a 6 year old charge off on an automobile the loan where I was the co-borrower the amount was for $22k .. I was wondering if I could find a mortgage lender that would approve me with a 640 credit score here in Louisiana..
Not any more. The charge-off should roll off your credit at 7 years, though. Was it maybe paid by the main borrower?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM

8,651 posts, read 22,811,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Not any more. The charge-off should roll off your credit at 7 years, though. Was it maybe paid by the main borrower?
Unless the creditor files a judgment, which is quite common on debts over $5000 in the 11th hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages